H7 replacement lamp

Page 1 of 2
Can I replace the H7 55W headlamp bulb of my Xsara with a H7 100W bulb sold on Ebay ?

saying:

Physically? Yes. An H7 is an H7. Legally? Depending on where you are, unlikely. In the EU, definitely not. A 100w bulb will not be e-Marked. Reliably? Possibly, possibly not. The wiring may well not like it, melting the switch, relays or wires.
Sideley wrote:

What Adrian says. You can if you shop on line buy a couple of 90% brighter H7s for not a huge amount of dosh. http://www.aalighting.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID 83&PHPSESSIDO71fd4b37c9b36bd0b1c1f224bfdbc8
or ebay item 110299896298
That way you'd be legal. I've not tried them but I'm told they're the dogs dangly bits.
--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

http://www.aalighting.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID 83&PHPSESSIDO71fd4b37c9b36bd0b1c1f224bfdbc8
Unless you're coming the other way ... other peoples' headlights are a menace!
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Whiskers wrote:

True. I might be installing one on my bike though, the BMW headlight is complete rubbish. I might as well use a candle.
--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

I think candles are under-rated.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

http://www.aalighting.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID 83&PHPSESSIDO71fd4b37c9b36bd0b1c1f224bfdbc8
That is a "standard" 55W bulb made by OSRAM, I don't expect it to be any brighter with the same filament based technology. My question was about a 100W bulb mounted into a receptacle designed for a 55W, I fear the risk of melting down the wiring caused by more intense current.
saying:

It could be a bit brighter, due to different gas or various other small design improvements, but you're right that it'll never be a big difference.

As I said in the original reply - not legally. There is a requirement for the bulb to be e-marked, and you will not find e-marked bulbs of more than 55w. You will find 80w and 100w bulbs, and the chance of having a problem is slim - but, tbh, I'd just go straight to aftermarket HIDs these days - they're typically 35w, but much brighter.

Is it an s1 or s2 Xsara? Either way, I'd have expected it to be relayed, so it should be capable of coping with the extra current. I'd be very wary of doing it on an s2, because of the multiplexing. But then, I'd be very wary of an s2 Xsara anyway because of the multiplexing...
Sideley wrote:

No it isn't. It's an Osram Nightbreaker which claims to put out 90% more light than a standard H7. It has the advantage of not being illegal, not taking any more current and therefore won't melt your wiring and thus answering your question. It should be almost twice as bright as a standard H7 and so would be about as bright as a 100W H7.
I repeat I haven't tried them yet but I am (fairly) reliably informed via a motorcycle newsgroup that they do work.
--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

Does it also claim to solve poverty, famine & war?

Uh-huh.

I'd love to see them compared - properly, scientifically, in a controlled environment - to a brand new brand name "normal" Halogen equivalent - bulbs get old before they die, and the light output diminishes as they age.
Adrian wrote:

Your point being? I would have thought the ASA would come down on them sharpish if they weren't as claimed.

True but if they start out as twice as bright by the time they die they should still be better than a normal bulb of the same age. Like I said, I've not tried them but they struck me as being a better solution for the OP than sticking in 100W bulbs which are illegal in many EU countries and stand a chance of frying the wiring loom. Some interesting reading here http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/758457/tp/4/ once you ignore the "I've got to have them cos they're so cool" merchants.
--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

"up to"

Indeed. IF. Which, to be frank, I doubt.

Eeek!!! Not UKRM???

--
Mick Whittingham
'and I will make it a felony to drink small beer.'
Mick Whittingham wrote:

Yup that fount of all reliable knowledge :-) IIRC it was Lozzo recommending them.
--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

It's doubful, a filament technology that puts out twice the brightness of a halogen lamp. I'm asking the experts in lighting.
saying:

Like... http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/superwhite/superwhite.html

Although it sounds good all the way to the end. The last paragraph seriously lets the guy down as not knowing his subject:
BOTTOM LINE: The laws of physics are the laws of physics. They don't bend even for the highest-paid advertising agency.
There is no way to get "85 watts of light for 55 watts of electricity."
Tinted bulbs aren't better.
--
Mick Whittingham
'and I will make it a felony to drink small beer.'
sounding much like they were saying:

Which bit of that are you taking exception to?

Watts of light.
--
Mick Whittingham
'and I will make it a felony to drink small beer.'
sounding much like they were saying:

I think you may be ignoring the quotation marks.