H7 bulb life

I installed new H7 bulb connectors this weekend as the ones that came with the car were somewhat loose. (Ebay item 320240991299 if you are interested). The most noticable thing was that the new connectors were VERY tight. I thought I might break something as I had to push so hard to get the connectors to snap onto the bulbs. I'm now wondering if this connection loosens up with every bulb change and has something to do with early bulb failure. Seems to me the bulbs lasted a lot longer when the car had less than 50,000 miles on it than they do now. Anyway, new bulbs too - so we will see how they do this time. They have been lasting about 3 months lately, so 6 months will mean something, and 1 year will be very unusual. Cross your fingers, and I'll keep you posted. I'll probably be doing our other Hyundai in a few weeks, so I'll have two test cases to observe.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

"Seems to me the bulbs lasted a lot longer when the car had less than

50,000 miles on it than they do now."

Presuming you had the bulbs replaced under warranty at that time, the number one thing I think this suggests is that the OE bulb brand had a longer lifespan. The one I pulled out of an Elantra today was branded Osram. Didn't look at the new one; I'm not sure Hyundai is still using the same vendor.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Dan

***

I do a lot of work on equipment with halogen lamps. Whenever the complaint is short bulb life, we change the socket. It seems that a poor connection (even though you can't see the bulb flicker) will cause greatly shortened bulb life. I would think on a car where you have great extremes in temperature, moisture, vibration etc, this would likely be the cause of most of the short life problems.

Larry

Reply to
Larry