o/s side light help

Page 2 of 4
contains these words:

Er, Cauli's is correct.
TonyB

But not for the right reasons if you're a greengrocer.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

:-)) I'm glad to say I'm not.
TonyB

Only if the singular is Cauli'.
--

Ian D

Not so. The apostrophe has more than one use. In this case it denotes that something is missing, i.e. the "flower" part of Cauliflower. Therefore cauli' is correct. Same with 'bus = Omnibus taxi' =taximeter cabriolet and pram' = perambulator. Is uppose bra' being short for brassiere would be correct too, and my original example of photo' would also be appropriate.
Many of these longer words have of course long since dropped from our vocabulary so it just depends how picky you want to be.
TonyB

Did you even read my post?
Six words, and you didn't bother reading them?
Cauli's is acceptable ONLY IF you use cauli' as the singular. I don't, and I'm prepared to bet you don't either.
The apostrophe does indeed have many uses, but forming a plural is not one of them.
That picky enough for you?
--

Ian D

Nah, if it's a greengrocer it'll probably be collie.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

I thought that was Chinese restaurants?
--

Ian D

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

<shudders at memory> Hemel Market. Badly scrawled sign reading... "Paki Mangoe's"

I'm starting to think I'm going to apply to the Arts Council for a grant to be the Apostropher Royal for the year. I'd dress up like the beadle from Oliver and tour the land with a bell and a paintbrush on a stick. I'd ammend signage and then call attention to the offence with my bell and deliver a short treatise on what was wrong and why it's now correct.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]
sounding much like they were saying:

I do. In fact I'm making Cauli(') Cheese for dinner tonight.

Bah. But then *you* probably put an apostrophe in pota'to.
--

Ian D

sounding much like they were saying:

Dunno about that, but if it's baked, I like to put butter and/or sour cream in it.

But what if you dont like Cauli's, Caulies or Collys...
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:58:31 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Just Say No.
--

Ian D

End apostrophe abuse now. You know it make's sense.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

Not only are you rude, Ian, you are also wrong. "Cauli's" is perfectly acceptable as a pleural, the apostrophe denotes the missing "flower" part of the word. Therefore "cauli's" equals "cauliflowers".
TonyB

Only in the transitional form, which most people have gone beyond by now.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

Excellent. I see you are keeping up the tradition of including a speeling mistook in any grammar flame.
--
Malc

Night close in on a shanty town.

Where's the spelling mistake Malc? TonyB