Re: XM advice please

Many/most of the problems are minor electrical ones, though as the one you're looking at is a Series II these are not usually as bad as they were on the Series I.
A thorough check of everything electrical is a good idea though, e.g. electric windows, sun-roof, mirror motors, etc.
Obviously also a look at and listen to the hydraulics is a good idea, does the pump run frequently and/or does the valve tick frequently? Does the car pump itself up quickly? In fact, being a Series II it should have an 'anti-sink' valve so it should stay up overnight.

If reasonably well cared for the engine will go a lot further than this. The real problem with automatic XMs is the gearbox, these are reputed to last only about 100k/120k. If (and only if) the auto oil is replaced frequently and religiously they will last longer. Since it's actually impossible to replace the oil this is rarely done! (The way to do it apparently is to replace a little every few thousand miles to keep it reasonably clean, I don't have an auto).

Not scintillating but OK.

Pretty good for such a big car.

of owners who know more about the 2.1 auto than I do (I have two 2.5TDs).

--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Erm, that should just about be run in by now. Another 50k and it should be just loosened up nicely!

I think the term is "bearable". I don't know though, I've only got a brace of V6's...

Very good by all accounts - 40+.

The autobox is past its sell by date, they have a tendancy to lunch themselves at exactly 120k. This one is either a good one that isn't going to go pop, a replacement for one that has gone pop or just one that is holding out a bit longer than most before going pop!
To be honest I'm not sure what happens to the autoboxes, I suspect it's just the brake bands - you should be able to get these done for the price of the equivalent number of manual gearbox clutches for the miles (120k = what? 3-4 normal clutches? couple of hundred quid each...)

You should find that the XM suits Sir's needs perfectly...
...what does the VSX come with comforts wise? Remember that XMs are mega bargains at the moment and anything that doesn't have a 2.5TD or 3.0 V6, Leather, Climate Control and the rest is making peanuts (really - my current S1 V6 came with no price tag...)
One does know of one of the "hens-teeth" XMs for sale, a 2.5TD estate...

Welcome to the wonderful world of XMing!
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

One of the XM-L listers is selling it. Email me offline and I'll put you inn touch.
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ