XM radio question- 2003 tahoe

I have a 2003 tahoe with the factory installed six-disk CD changer with am/fm, no cassette. How can i tell if the radio is XM compatible? I heard that I need to pull the radio out of the dash and look on the back of the unit to see if this unit can receive XM radio service. Is this true or do i need to have the dealer order a XM compatible radio from the factory. What would this cost me? I would like to use my current radio system if possible................ Thanks

Reply to
drab

You can find some Info on this at

. I will say though that you can't get Factory XM added to your Car after you BUY IT! Period. It's not something the Dealer does. It's the Manufacture. You can't buy most of the require Parts you would need. Plus the Radio would need to be Reprogrammed to know XM is there. Plugging in a XM Module won't make the Radio know it's there. Getting the Dealer to do that is about almost impossible.

What you CAN do though is there is a new Interface by Soundgate, you can Plug into the Radio, and using a Pioneer XM Unit, you can get XM though the Factory Radio with all the Radio Controls and Display thought it. So it's Almost as good as a Factory setup. Plus you have a Large choice in what Antenna you want to use as those Stock Factory ones are Ugly, not to mention you get a couple Holes in your roof for the Antenna that you'll never be able to remove again without expensive Body Repair work.

Go to the Web page I listed and do a Search on the Topic and you should be able to find your Answers.

Reply to
JBDragon

The radio will recognize XM without any other software added; it is already there.

Reply to
Baboo

That's correct. If it came with XM compatibility, it would have the XM antenna on top. You could also step through the "band" and you would see AM, FM1, FM2, XM1 and XM2.

Don

Reply to
<dnelson

The radio contains the software; as is. However, to get XM you must have the module, antenna, and wiring.

Reply to
Baboo

If you bough your Vehicle with XM already installed and it's disabled because your not paying the subscription, then that's a simple make to correct. If you bought a Vehicle that XM was NOT already installed your screwed! Period. Yes you would need the XM Module that plugs in the Back of the Radio, the Wiring, and the Antenna that goes on the Roof. Even if you could get this stuff, it would NOT WORK! It has been tried. Plugging the XM Module in the Radio will still not allow the Radio to know it's there, it would have to be Programmed by a Dealers Computer. The problem there is finding one to do that! Secondly you can't buy the required Parts from the Dealer except for the Antenna.

You can try getting the required parts from a Totaled Truck, The Radio is Keyed to the Trucks VIN#, so it's not going to work in yours. Trying to get it Reprogrammed to work in yours is going to be a problem. Dealer is not likely to do it. Of course Plugging the XM Module you got used also into your own Radio is also NOT going to work, because the Radio needs to be Programmed for it. This is GM. They make it quite hard. Not even the Dealers can Install a system for you. They can Repair them, but they have to send back the old parts.

All I can say is go to your Dealer and ASK! Ask them what parts you need to Add XM to your Factory Radio. Can they Get them for you, and if there's anything that needs to be done to get it working after it's all hooked up. This has been discussed on

Do a search and read up on it.

There is now a Aftermarket way to add a Pioneer XM Module to the Factory Radio that tricks the Radio and Reports so far seem pretty good. Works and displays like a Factory XM setup. Or you can add a Separate XM Unit like the Roady or Skyfi, or Replace the Factory Radio with a Aftermarket Radio.

Reply to
JBDragon

I will repeat this for those that have comprehension issues.

All 2003+ GM truck radios have integrated software (RPOs UB0 UB1 UC6) for XM radio. This software does not require any setting, only that the necessary XM hardware be present.

Now this is not really a concern to anyone; for reasons previously stated, by other posters.

Reply to
Baboo

Just call xm and give then the ID # from the radio? And it will work?

Reply to
Pookeymofo