XM Diesel

Hi chaps, Just got a Peugeot 205 diesel to keep costs down (running a Volvo 740 2.0l estate automatic at the mo.) I have just had the chance to get a XM
diesel estate. Only details I know are that it's a M reg in reasonable nick (havent seen it yet) going for around 500. Full tax/mot. The prospect of having a big estate with small car enocomy is tempting plus I quite like the spaceship looks, bit different to the brick. Anyone point me to any info on the XM? seems a bit rare on the web.
Stuart Gray ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

2.1 or 2.5?
If it's a 2.1, that's not a bad price at all. If it's a 2.5, that's an absolutely fantastic price....

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com is as good a place as any.
is as good a place as any.
No idea which it is at the mo. It's in Glasgow and I'm in Dunfermline, ie. opposite sides of Scotland, but me mate is a die hard auction type, makes a living from auction cars etc. He's going to have a proper look, it belongs to a mate of his, he knew I was after a small diesel to go to work and back , but also knew I have the Volvo and thought that the Citroen would be cheaper to run as a second car. I need the estate for my mother in law and her wheel chair etc. That lot won't fit in a Pug 205, it fits in the Volvo at 25 mpg, and would certainly fit in a XM estate which looks even bigger that the Volvo but does almost half the fuel consumption and at a lower insurance bracket etc. I'm very interested in it, and will post back with details.

You're not looking at 'super economy' by any means with the XM, especially an estate. It's economical for its size but it's a big car.
I have two Hatchback 2.5TD XMs, typical overall average is probably around 30 to 35 mpg (this is about what everyone on the XM mailing list reports). A 2.1 diesel will be somewhat better but not hugely, it won't be so quick either of course.
--
Chris Green

Still looks a lot better than 25 mpg !!!! One question sprung to mind. Does the XM have adjustable suspension, eg can you raise the car when it's standing still? If you can that would be a bonus cos it would make it easier on my back getting Mum in Law in and out of the car.

Does
easier
You certainly can! I used to do exactly that for my 90-something year old aunt, jack the car up to full height so she could just sit on the seat and not "flump" down into the seat, return car to normal height for driving, jack car up so she could just swing her legs out of the car and stand up - perfect.
CAS -- 2 x S1 XM V6 SEi 1 x BX GTi 8v 1 x Lotus Elan +2 130S
Message i.d.:< inspired me,

Yes. The XM has magic powers.
--
Johan; Certifiable me; Reply to Hotm ail
[ this room is for rent ]

Such as me not being able to find a black turbo diesel in the UK, near Sheffield, that I can afford.
Although if anyone has one you could let me know...
Reply to my first name at my surname dot org dot uk

BOLLOX !!!!!!!! Mate went to see car for me - turns out to be a ZX. Arrgghhh. Still, if the price is right, makes for even cheaper motoring than the XM. Pity, I was beginning to like the idea of a spaceship........
Stuart Gray ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, ffs... A Xant, I could possibly understand - but a ZX?

But *infinitely* more tedious.
A ZX non-turbo D is cheaper than walking, though not a lot quicker....
gurgled happily,

LOL, the disappointment is still filtering through, but I keep thinking of cost. I've just got a Pug 205D for the daily drive, so maybe I should keep looking for a diesel replacement for my Volvo 740 estate, ie find that XM I had got to like so much by researching online

That is probably your best bet. Head over to XM-L and ask there, the cits for sale list could also be your friend!
CAS

of
keep
XM
CAS, do you have a link to XM-L ? much appreciated if you do. The XM looks so much more fun than a ZX, but I'll take a ZX if I have too !!!! I just need two cars, one for me that can do great mpg, and a large estate that will get hardly any mileage on it to transport granny+wheelchair. Keeping the Volvo is an option, but why burn petrol at 25 mpg when I could burn oil at 45 mpg? Not to mention the decrease in insurance etc. I'm beginning to get obsessed by XM stuff I think, could be the way to wean me off Volvos. LOL. I have two on my drive atm. One runner, and one for spares.
Cheers Stu.

yahoogroups.com. I bought one of my 2.5TDs from another member of the list and I'm very happy with it.
--
Chris Green

Just signed up - thanks very much for the info - most appreciated !!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Blimey. I get mid/high 20s to low 30s from my petrol turbo auto hatch.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

LOL - Exactly the reason I'm changing my petrol "fleet" to diesel !!!!!
Stuart Gray ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, you misunderstand.
It's a *TINY* difference - to my mind - between the 30ish I get from a petrol auto and the 2-3mpg more from a diseasel manual.
Ludicrously small. Certainly not worth the HUGE price difference between a 2.5TD and a petrol - you wouldn't make that cost up in a quarter of a million miles.
gurgled happily,

ahh, right, I was thinking of my difference - 25 to 55

Over here in germany we have quite a vivid internet community dealing with citroen issues, besides that my boss owns a XM 2.5 TD. From what I have heard from many sources, I can say: Stay away from this engine and take the smaller 2.1 engine instead. The 2.5 engine is very likely to have its cilynder head or its pistons damaged after 120.000 miles or so. My boss had both, so he spemt 6000 Euros to have its engine rebuilt (the whole car cost him 7500 Euros). Although having less power, the 2.1 engine seems to be the far better choice.
Frank