A-frame for towing

Hi,

Not really 'classical', but car related: saw an ad in Practical Classics about an A-frame for towing another car. How do these frames work? I believe these frame have no own wheels (not a towing dolly). To what part of the towed car are these connected ? How do the steering front wheels follow the towing car in corners? Heavy wheel-scrub?

Tx for info,

rob

Reply to
robwill2

The guy who bought my maroon Elf towed it 130-odd miles back to London with one. A short section attaches to the towball then two pivoting sections crank downwards to make it low enough to go under the car without catching. At the ends of these arms are chains which loop around the bottom suspension arms and hook back on the A-frame. A long

15mm(ish) screw thread runs through the lower section of the arms to the chains and is used to tighten the grip of the chains by turning the thread at the front end of the arms. Ingenious. An adjustable crossbar then links the two arms together to complete the "A" shape. I think the car is forced to steer the right way by effectively being led by its steering geometry. Colin, who took the car, had used it a great deal and certainly made no mention of any tyre scrub with it.
Reply to
Chris Bolus

Presumably vehicles being towed in this way have to have a current MOT? And a valid tax disc? And do they effectively become an unbraked trailer and are therefore limited to 750kg?

Reply to
Steve Loft

I have towed hundreds of miles with one of these. The car just follows the same as if you pull a car to one side it follows, obviously the steering must be working and unlocked. Legally you should only use them for recovery, in practise no one gives a damn. They should not be used for tight turns or reverse, but do work ok for normal forward driving. Tow car does all the braking. Tyre scrub is not an issue for any usual use.

Modern cars can be quite tricky or impossible to connect to, mainly because of very low front spoilers.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

AFAIK that is indeed the case. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Steve Loft wrote in news:u0jh12-thq.ln1 @nybbles.co.uk:

Presumably yes, but if it doesn't have an MOT, just book it in for one in your home town, if you get pulled anywhere on the journey back, you are taking it to a pre-booked MOT so you don't have to have MOT or tax.

Reply to
Dave Skirrow

Steve Loft ( snipped-for-privacy@nybbles.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

750kg maximum laden weight, don't forget.
Reply to
Adrian

Just two long legs, with chains on the end, which you wrap around the lower suspension wishbones (or axle) and tighten up. There is a connecting bar to stop the legs coming together, which makes it look like a A.

No, no wheels of thier own. There are towing dollys you can get with independant wheels.

Ideally the lower wishbones/suspension componenet, or in the case of a beam or front axle, round that.

The castor angle of the wheels means they follow the natural path round the corners, so the front wheels are moving just as they would if you were steering. No tyre scrub, provided you remember to leave the steering lock off.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Technically, an A-frame is a emergency recovery method, as it is demountable, and not a fixed part of the vehicle. Therefore the towed vehicle should have MOT/Tax as it will have been on the road prior to recovery. Again, as it's an emergency recovery the towed vehicle does not have to be under 750kg if unbraked.

Should you be using it for transportation, not emergency recovery, then you may find yourself in trouble, as it is then classed as a trailer, not a towed vehicle. In practice, I've yet to see someone towing on an a-frame being stopped by the fuzz.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Have seen a Camper Van based locally towing a Fiat Panda with "eye bolts" just in front of bumper linking in to toww bar fittings on camper apparently there is a firm doing one in northampton

Reply to
Tealc

True, I'm sure, in the normal course of events. But if you had an accident? And what might your insurers have to say?

I'm also unconvinced by the sophistry of "taking it for an MoT". There's always a risk of "two can play that game" if the police think you're taking the wossname.

But then I would say that, wouldn't I? (see sig)

Reply to
Autolycus

May not be a popular suggestion, but why not have a word with your local Mr Plod - explain the situation and ask for advice.

I recently had to move a rolling chassis of a 1928 car (on wheels, running gear intact but no body). Clearly no chance of an MoT. Probably was closest to being an unbraked trailer. They asked me for details of when and where I proposed to move the thing, and at the appointed hour an Awficer of the Law turned up, rode in the front of the towing car with me and waving his warrant card told me to just drive and leave any questions to him. As it happened, there weren't any.

Community policing at its best.

Geoff MacK (who still believes in Doxon of Dick Green).

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

It is not at all unusual in the USA to come across an RV (huge camper van) with a VW Rabbit or similar fastened to the back using either an A frame or the eye-bolt arrangement. The car follows the RV like a dinghy follows a boat.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I don't know the legal reasoning. The Elf did have both T&T, but theoretically yes, you're right, it is an unbraked trailer. Personally I wouldn't have fancied towing it that far behind a Rover 400, but it wasn't me doing it.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Good trailer too. The Saab is lovely, Kevin!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

"I have towed my kit car up to 200 miles at one go with a Ren Cleo it has been the most stable outfit that I have ever towed you would hardly know its there but it takes some getting used to cos when you look in the rear view mirror theirs a car right up yer backside (you hope) you must have a light board at the back so others can see the towing cars light/indicators.

Reply to
biggles

I saw a camper van, French plates towing a Smart behind it the same way. Makes sense really, saves having to pack up the camper to go see the local scenery.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Actually, an encouraging thread for me as I had an A-frame built for my vintage race car which was already fitted for it. Still haven't gone racing but the prior owner did try using it ... and pranged up his tow car because he cornered without thought and it jack-knifed him.

-- "The web has got me caught. I'd rather have the blues than what I've got."

Reply to
Norm

That reminds me. Many years ago Dr. Taylor used to tow the Ceasar Special (AC engine in GN frame) that way. It had a vertical outside handbrake without a ratchet, so the braking problem was solved with the aid of stoutish piece of string between the aforsaid lever and the driver of the towing car.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

That's why there are recommendations about the weight ratios of towcars to trailers...

Reply to
Chris Bolus