A-Frame Towing

Stupidly, I've agreed to take the Trabant to a couple of track days next year...

Not entirely comfortable with driving there and back as I do in the Alfa

75, so been looking at towing options.

I'd settled on an A-Frame, as I thought I'd get away with it as an unbraked trailer. But it appears there's a rule that if brakes are fitted, they must be functioning, which kind of kills that idea!

Does anyone know if it's even possible to activate the brakes on a non-servo assisted car on an A-frame?

Reply to
Steve H

Yes, by using an A-frame with a overrun hitch, operating a cable that, in turn, operates the brake pedal via a frame that clamps between the bulkhead and seat.

However. The rules state that the brakes on a trailer must automatically disengage when reversing, so you would still not comply.

Long ago, when reversing was carried out by swinging a spacer over the hitch to prevent it being pushed in, there were solenoid kits to automate this from the reversing lights. Maybe this would be legal?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If it's just for a couple of days, would trailer hire be an option?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

This is an option, yes. But I may wish to tow it to other places in the future, too.

Reply to
Steve H

Buy a s/h trailer. You know you want to!

Reply to
newshound