Capri parts (Conor?)

Any suggestions for good sources of Capri spares? Particularly body panels. We've finally got round to starting the restoration of ours!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

(ignore the cheesy music - we've told him countless times)
(Martin is a bit pricey but has good customer service)
(everything you could want although not cheap)
(Capri Club International)
(Suppliers of restoration equipment and materials)

For an engine..can't recommend them enough

Ultimate in mechanical spares and performance upgrades for old Fords is Burtons.

There's also still some pattern parts available from usual body shop suppliers and your local motor factors should be able to get most mechanical bits.

Also get yourself registered on the following forums:

(1000+ members - solely Capri)
(9000+ members - all classic Fords pre-Sierra)

Reply to
Conor

Cheers for that. Performance upgrades is the last thing we need yet - this is a MkIII 1300 (a rare beast, not even listed in most places), which was a deliberate choice as my son, who will be 17 next year, stands a chance of getting insurance for it!

So what areas are likely to need watching fo the MOT?

It's remarkably solid for its age, and seems unmolested too, always a plus when restoring - it takes longer to sort out other people's bodges! So far I know it needs a new wing (in my shed already), n/s sill, and small repairs to the inner wings. Otherwise I can't see much between it and an MOT. It will however need a complete respray to make it look good!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Strut tops. Seat runner rear outer mounting points. A posts. Handbrake operation. Track Control Arm bushes.

As for the wing..they have a nasty habit of turning into a big job when you find the drip rail and front valance aren't as clever as you thought.

Reply to
Conor

They're solid.

OK, can't recall any problem there but I'll check.

Solid.

Brakes will get an all-round check as it's been stood for a while, but it seemed to work.

I'll check that too.

I already know the front valance isn't too hot, but I can weld that - they're expensive!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Theres' a square plate with raised edges with a captive nut in the middle. They tend to rot where the plate meets the floor.

Reply to
Conor

That bit's fine it turns out. However the entire edge of the floor has separated from the sill! Strange as it's generally in really good condition, evidently due to the use of cavity wax.

We cut the sill off to replace while the wing was off, and because there was a small hole in it. Behind that we found the cavity they had missed with the wax - the one in front of the spring hanger - and it's all rusted away, as has the bottom 1/2" of the inner sill. I reckon there's two days work before we even fit the sill.

I'm used to Minis; they can rust but I know exactly how to replace each bit. This one is new to me and I'm having to think carefully about how to repair each section!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Sign up to the forums at

- there's a wealth of info there as many of us have been there and done it. Expressed Steel do repair sections but they aren't cheap.

Reply to
Conor

That's an understatement! Fortunately my fabrication skills are pretty good.

Have signed up to Capripower and started a project thread in Members Cars. Some of the pics in there have been very helpful.

Reply to
Chris Bolus