Capri heater fan

I believe that the heater fan on a Mk3 Capri packing in is quite a common problem, so before I pull the dash apart perhaps someone can suggest a likely cause / first place to check? I have made sure that the connectors in the back of the switch on the dash are connected properly and the fuse is ok. It stopped working during the summer while on full blast during a football match traffic jam and had been on for probably ½ an hour before stopping as if it had been switched off rather than suddenly stopping as if it had become jammed or something.

Any help much appreciated,

Jonathan

---------------------- '67 Daimler V8 2½ Litre '83 Ford Capri 2.0S

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

In both cases with mine it was a seized bearing in the motor.

Although, IIRC there is a resistor in the area that is used for the lower fan speed, sometimes that can become open circuit/disconnected. Unfortunately, you need the unit out to check on that as well!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Yup, it's a seized bearing in the motor on mine. Fortunately, Mk2 Escort ones also fit.

Reply to
Pete M

Most helpful, thanks guys

Jonathan

---------------------- '67 Daimler V8 2½ Litre '83 Ford Capri 2.0S

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

Sometimes they just get "stuck". Set the heater so it would blow air onto your feet. Now the tricky bit, get down in the footwell and poke a small stick up there, and using a torch to see, try to turn the fan blades round with the stick. It's worked for me a couple of times, and it saves taking out nearly the whole dash.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Reply to
Amos E Wolfe