Help! Capri 2.8 running hot..

Just discovered from the previous owner it's got no thermostat in it. Gets hot, right up to the red when idling in traffic and runs around the way up the scale when trundling at 85mph. Doesn't go down much if I slow down, gets hotter around town. No bad running or loss of power. Heater sometimes blows hot, other times cold. No oil in water/water in oil, no usage of water either.

I reckon it's got air in the system somewhere which is causing the problem.

2 questions - is it possible to bleed it properly without a thermostat? I seem to think not as I tried for ages yesterday!

Does anyone know if the thermostat in the 2.8V6 engine is as awkward to change as it looks? Right down at the bottom behind the fan? Anyone offer any tips, or is it easier to slip my local garage £25 to do it for me? Looks like I might need ramps to change it.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

From your desciption it has probably got a blown head gasket. Get a gas test done. Next most likely is a blocked radiator. Having a thermostat or not will make little difference to bleeding the system.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Personnally I'd say the rad is silted up? Check by feeling for cool spots on it with the engine hot.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

check to see if you put the thermostat in the write way beacuse it can go in to ways the wrong way and the right way if its in the wrong way it will over heat check the rad feel the top pipe and the bottom are about the same in Temp check to see if the heaters are working in the car if not let me Know

John

Reply to
jcautos

Not sure it its the same engine as the granada mk 11 2.8, but if it is be careful changing the thermostat - if its not quite in place you can crack the cover - a bit of a pain.

I'd look first at the rad flow - sounds like its blocked.

I'd also check the fan - is it a viscous one on your model? If so, make sure the coupling goes tight when hot. I have bodged them in the past by bolting right through the coupling to make it direct drive

Reply to
TimM

Thanks to all who replied. I'll take the rad out tomorrow and try and flush it. Looks to be some sediment in the core looking down the filler. I've put a thermostat in it today and let it warm up.

It is a viscous fan, and I'm sure it's turning. It freewheels when the engine is cold, and it eventually went tight while I was running the engine this afternoon. I'm going to remove it and put a kenlowe kit on anyway. My last 2.8 had one and it kept temperature much better.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

in addition to the other replies, make sure you have the right temp sender for the car/engine AND the right summer/winter thermostat fitted

Reply to
dojj