Removing rear-end bearing cap on a Spitfire engine?

I've got the oil pan off(remind myself to turn the crankshaft next time, jeesh). Got the 2 main bolts of it off, but it will not come out. I can wiggle it forwards and backwards a bit, but any other way and it's on there solid. Any tips on how to get it out?

Reply to
S1500

if it has one: is the oil seal stuck in the cap, so it just needs a good pull to release it?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Reply to
S1500

the thrust washer may be integral to the main bearing itself

Reply to
mrcheerful

screwdriver between cap & thrust washer,

totally entailed getting my MINI towed out since the electrics

Is that MINI as opposed to Mini? Here's what the Notts About Minis club think:

(think that'sthe right URL as the server's down as I type)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The car in question is an '03 MINI. The battery, indicating it is charged(on the charger), but couldn't start if its life depended on it.

Chris Bolus wrote:

screwdriver between cap & thrust washer,

totally entailed getting my MINI towed out since the electrics

Reply to
S1500

Nope - In fact, if only it were! The thrusts are two half washers, one either side of the bearing , and held in place by the lower bearing cap only. Dreadful design, and these engines are known to drop them quite easily.

Chances are if the OP is trying to remove the rear cap with the engine in situ it'll be a bit of a pain to get a good grip on. I've found sticking a screwdriver in the bolt holes and wiggling lots while pulling down (press against the screwdriver to "lock it" in the hole) eventually breaks the seal - Most likely all that's holding it is the oil film round the crank.

Though why I'm even thinking of posting anything of use to someone with both an underpowered haidresser car *and* a travesty BMW compact is beyond me...

Reply to
Stuffed

: Most likely all that's holding it is the oil film round the crank.

If I recall correctly, from the Herald engine, there are two hollow pins protruding from the cap into matching holes in the block, and the bolts go through these pins. It's logical really - means the cap is located more accurately than a bolt would do it. These pinds will probably be jamming. I put a long bolt of the same diameter as the caps one into the hole in the cap and knock that backwards and forwards with a hide faced mallet - the cap should soon wiggle down and off.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

screwdriver between cap & thrust washer,

totally entailed getting my MINI towed out since the electrics

How the hell did that get re-posted? Something funny happening to my PC...

Reply to
Chris Bolus