Rear End Rumble on 2003 Buick Century

2003 Buick Century, the rear end of the car has developed a rumbling/ rattling sound when driving over rough pavement, especially at slower speeds. On smooth roads, there is no noise, and I don't notice the noise (as much) on rough roads at "non-slow" speeds. The driveability of the car is not affected. A mechanic lifted the car and did a visual inspection, nothing obvious jumped out to him (signs of rubbing, something loose, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jeff

It could be tire noise also but I would suspect it is a rear wheel bearing. It may not be possible to duplicate the noise on a lift.

Reply to
Mike

A bearing would not give you a rattling sound. I suspect a strut mount.

Reply to
JRL

We have a slightly older Buick, and I can sometimes here a rumble from the rear end when I park and go to the rear of the car. It is clearly associated with the exhaust system, and since it causes no problem, I have ignored it.

Reply to
<HLS

OK, the problem was found: the shop that recently did my alignment forgot to tighten down a rear end tie rod.

Reply to
Jeff