yet another Number plate question

I purchased a lovely 1936 Morris 10/4 back in April.

The previous owner kept the number plate for nostalgic reasons (the car had been in his family since new)

DVLA in their wisdom issued a number in the format 123 ABC.

To me this is not age related to the car.

What's the chances of getting them to issue a number in the format ABC

123 ?

This would be more in keeping with the age of the car.

regards

Reply to
Les Ashton

The first reversed 3 letter plate was issued in 1953 so your plate is definitely not in keeping with a 1936 vehicle

Regards

Reply to
newman

I think they'll tell you to get stuffed. It was only relativly recently that pre-1963 vehicles were issued with a non-age-related index marks in the first place, I have a 1955 vehicle which, when the number was removed some years ago, was issued with an ABC 123A mark, ie old A-reg which is a 1963 reg. Non-year-letter marks are considered to be all of the same vintage, and not age-specific which is why the vehicle in question is currently wearing an ABC1234 mark which I KNOW was issued in 1964 (some areas did not switch untill "C" reg) but the DVLA were quite happy to transfer the mark onto the vehicle, as the indication of age is not definitive to the mark. They would not, however, now allow me to transfer an ABC 123A mark back onto the vehicle.

The switch from ABC 1234 to 1234 ABC format did not occour at the same time in all areas, the switch happened as the old numbers were used up, this determining the exact year of the "switch" is not possible, either for this switch or the switch to ABC 123A, only the date on which the mark was issed can be determined.

In the case of a "new" issued mark the age is irrelevant, as the mark you have will probably not have been issued before you recieved it (DVLA do not as a matter of course re-issue numbers which MAY still be in use) and thus your mark will technically have an issuing date of

2004.

I think the official answer to your question will be that "non-year letter plates are defined as "pre 1963" and thus are suitable for all cars built before that date, regardless of the actual percieved age of the plate"

The purpose of the yearly identifier is to make the identification of the age of the vehicle more apparent, particularly as regards date of first MOT. Thus a non-year-letter plate does not assist in this matter, and the plates would be considered suitable.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

DVLA issues age related plates with two letter when appropriate to the age of the vehicle, so they don't treat all pre-1963 cars as being the same. None of my cars being old enough for the 2 letter plates, I am unsure of the exact criteria for issue. I think Les should take this up with DVLA - as they have recently been issuing age related plates in the format ABC 123, I can see no reason (other than error) for not issuing an appropriate plate in the first instance. Speak to them at Swansea, they are generally approachable and helpful, Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

In message , Bill Davies penned

I took this up with Swansea, who refereed me to my local office.

I was told the guidelines indicated that the car should have been issued with a number in the format ABC 123. However these numbers had run out in some areas. These areas were now issuing numbers in the format 123 ABC

I was then told I could always buy a number from DVLA!!!

Reply to
Les Ashton

Presumably used up by sad gits with personalised number plates, rather than the vehicles they really belong on?

Reply to
Steve Loft

Never a good start.....

I would try bouncing this back to Swansea, in writing. The area offices aren't geared up to deal with this kind of issue. A few years ago I managed to get an original "lost" numberplate reassigned to one of my Heralds. In the intervening years, the car had been issued with a transerrable age related plate. To cut a long story short, after some flawed advice from DVLA, the original plate was reissued, but the transerrable plate was lost, forever according to the VRO. A polite letter detailing the entire chain of events and advice given to me was written to DVLA at Swansea, and I was soon informed that the "lost" numberplate would be reissued on a retention certificate.

That's the VRO for you! Chheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

In message , Bill Davies penned

Thanks Bill,

I will give it a try.

Les

Reply to
Les Ashton

The problem is, the DVLA only issue a certain "batch" at a time. Until recently, this was in the format of xAS###. If you car is from before 1931, then you can get a xx#### format plate.

Apart from that, you'll just get the next number out of the hat...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose