Yet another Supra question:

Driver's side front brake is overheating the rotor. Tried to remove the caliper, but there was only one bolt. So THEN I decided to check the TSRM. It looks like there IS only one bolt, and the other is a pin attached to the Torque Plate; it looks like it SHOULD just slide off, but it didn't seem to want to. (of course, I didn't loosen the braket holding the hose like step 1 said to...)

Am I making a correct guess here? It looks like once I free the hose bracket it should just slide off.

As far as the slider that Ray mentioned, it doesn't look like there IS one! The boots are there, and there is a metal piece the bolt slides through, but nothing is working like I am familiar with...

Reply to
hachiroku

I don't know that car, but unless it's a two (or four) piston caliper design, it has to be able to slide laterally on the pins or bolts. If it can't slide, there's your overheated brake right there - you apply the brakes and the fixed side fights past the rust and grrrrrunnnnches over, but when you release the brake pedal it can't easily slide back away from the rotor to release.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I think that it doesn't want to slide off easily because the slide is frozen. Try this... Remove the bolt and get a pry bar on the pad bracket and try rotating the caliper off on the pin perpendicular to the hub - radially.

The metal piece that the bolt slides through is the caliper slide. The boot keeps crud from getting on the slide. You should be able to grab the metal piece the bolt slides through and move it in and out, stretching and compressing the boots. If that piece doesn't move in and out, it is frozen. Carefully remove the boots and try to drive the slide out.

Reply to
Ray O

Actually, I can go with that.

Just done a brake job on my 1990 Alltrac/GT4.

Front brake was two bolts, and it just slid off. Rear brake was one pin and one bolt, and it turned upwards, and then slid off. So it couldbe that Supra fronts are like Alltrac rears.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

AAARRRRGGGHHHH! Much easier said then done!!! I put new pads on, will drive to work and have a texh do it. AARRGGGGHHHHHH!

It didn't wantg to slide at all, and then started sliding in ONE direction only! I had to drive it with a hammer and then it would slide. Hope I don't need a new caliper...

Reply to
hachiroku

Yeh, once I read the TSRM I saw that. Actually, the TSRM for the MKII Supra explained it MUCH better!

Reply to
hachiroku