Yet Another Cheap Insurance Question

I've heard about a D plate Audi 100 going for my prefered banger price range locally, but looking at the usual online insurance quotes, I think it's not going to happen. I currently pay 80 quid a year for fully comp 1500 mile limited classic policies on my Triumphs, cheapest I've found for the Audi would be a normal policy, 450 odd quid. I only need something for a few weeks with any luck, and for 450 I can pick up another Triumph and insure, MOT, and tax it for a year! And not have any sort of reliability or parts availability, but that's half the fun :)

Is it likely I could get a better deal, something in the 200 quid mark, payable by instalments so maybe 40 quid or so up front, so when I cancel the policy I'm not writing off near three figures?

Or is trying to find "enthusiast/ classic" cover for this sort of car a waste of time?

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rse.non spouted=20 forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Try that Irish address I posted. I emailed them, and if you cancel you lose the rest. They have a max mileage of 5000 for all cars combined on their policy,=20 but only ask you for an estimated mileage, I said 3000 for one car, and=20 they said =A3149 with legal cover.

Or try Footman James. They said =A3187 for 3k miles limited fully comp on= =20 the B plate Saab.

--=20 Carl Robson (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

MeatballTurbo

What qualifies a car to be a classic, in terms of insurance?

Reply to
REMUS

In article , snipped-for-privacy@itspambot.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Depends on the company, some say 15years for insurance purposes, some say 20, some say 25.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

erm which ones say 15 years? although I would hardly call a golf mrk 2 a classic although I suppose the gti's do have a cult status.

Reply to
REMUS

In article , snipped-for-privacy@itspambot.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Quite a lot actually. If you google for classic insurers, a lot will say over 15 years. Especially if it has an official owners/enthusiats club, and you are a member, and it isn't your only car.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Catching up on all the old posts atm, so missed that one. Only after something for a month or so while Swansea sort out my bloody logbook so I can tax the Triumph again (bloody tax exempt, but I still need a disc to avoid a fine and all that bollocks). I like the idea of a free car to run into the ground for that time, but I don't like the idea of paying silly amounts for a couple of weeks driving :(

Reply to
Stuffed

But then there's the limited mileage to take into account, plus many of them won't insure under certain ages on a classic policy. I tried an online quote last night that came back with the age problem. Made me wonder just how old someone had to be before they could be deemed worthy of cherishing a classic.

Most, if not all, will refuse if you're under 25. Many will if you're under

  1. I've also been refused on the grounds that my everyday car is older than the one I'm trying to get cover on (1st car was a 1970 model, 2nd was a 1975 version). I've also been refused as it's not a second car, and accepted by having 2 "second cars" and no first. There's really no hard and fast rules that I can make out, it all depends on the company, Jupiter's alignment with Saturn, and if the person the other end of the phone had breakfast or not.
Reply to
Stuffed

Ah but a lot of youngsters use old cars as bangers till they get noclaims.

Although there are a lot of young enthusaists who have grown up with the family attitude of waking up under the car with the welding mask on and the frost gradually melting, when a nice warm brew is put down beside them.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar