1987 Gas Gauge empty at a quarter tank....

My gas gauge reads a little over a quarter tank when it runs dry. Anyone know how to easily fix it? My mechanic says it could get expensive fast, so leave it alone.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bart

Got an 82 that reads full when full, then only drops to a bit over half for the rest of the tank. I have a thin wooden dowel that works great. I think the guage needle itself is sticking (not the float or sending unit) because it doesn't drop to E when I shut off the ignition (or doesn't it anyway?).

Anywhoo, yours could be stuck also, or the sending unit and float need calibration (adjustment). Mine comes out of the tank right on top at the filler (along with the fuel pump). If yours is easy like that, it's worth a careful inspection. Only gets expensive if you break it (doubtful), or you have to replace it. My sending unit is about $250. Me thinks yours is under $100.

Reply to
MeToo

Good idea. Better to do that than pull the sending unit unnecessarily. I wonder if I can get to the right wires for the guage without taking out the bezel and guage...........

By the way. Does anyone know whether the guage drops back to empty like some do when the ignition is off, or if it just stays where it's last reading was. That would help me analyze, also. Would work for Bart, too..

Thanks

Reply to
MeToo

Reply to
not

Great. Standing by.........

Reply to
Craig aka Me Too

Reply to
not

Thanks Greg, I stopped by at a used vette dealer in Holt, MI and flipped on the ignition of an 81 and 82. Both appeared to be at rest where the needle was when it shut off. Probably my sending unit or obstructed float. I guess I'll pull it out and test it when I get an extra hour or so. I appreciate your checking yours and letting me know. Now I have to decide whether I want to pull the differential carrier on my back on the garage floor, or pay someone to do it. I have a chunking that has been eliminated everywhere else - think it may be a chipped/cracked/pulled tooth somewhere in there. It's been like that for four or five years. So far not catastrophic, but I think I've pushed my luck far enough. Got a 2.86 laying around for 80-82? ;-)

unnecessarily. I

(doubtful), or

Reply to
Craig aka Me Too