1987 Gas Gauge empty at a quarter tank....

My gas gauge reads a little over a quarter tank when it runs dry. Anyone know how to easily fix it? My mechanic says it could get expensive fast, so leave it alone.
Thanks.
Got an 82 that reads full when full, then only drops to a bit over half for the rest of the tank. I have a thin wooden dowel that works great. I think the guage needle itself is sticking (not the float or sending unit) because it doesn't drop to E when I shut off the ignition (or doesn't it anyway?).
Anywhoo, yours could be stuck also, or the sending unit and float need calibration (adjustment). Mine comes out of the tank right on top at the filler (along with the fuel pump). If yours is easy like that, it's worth a careful inspection. Only gets expensive if you break it (doubtful), or you have to replace it. My sending unit is about $250. Me thinks yours is under $100.

most shops have a gauge tester, i got mine many years ago from snap-on, the should be able to tell you by hooking up the test unit and dialing in resistance. \Greg

Good idea. Better to do that than pull the sending unit unnecessarily. I wonder if I can get to the right wires for the guage without taking out the bezel and guage...........
By the way. Does anyone know whether the guage drops back to empty like some do when the ignition is off, or if it just stays where it's last reading was. That would help me analyze, also. Would work for Bart, too..
Thanks

we have a 1980 in the shop right now, i will look tomorrow to see if it drops back to empty or not. you will need to test the gauge from the wires at the sending unit, just unplug them./Greg

Great. Standing by.........

it looks like it drops to empty when off, but the car has very little gas in it, the fuel gauuge was working, we put a used gauge in it. Greg On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:10:41 -0400, "Craig aka Me Too"

correction, i put another 5 gallons in it and it looks like it stays very close to where it was when you turn it off/ greg On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:42:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

Thanks Greg, I stopped by at a used vette dealer in Holt, MI and flipped on the ignition of an 81 and 82. Both appeared to be at rest where the needle was when it shut off. Probably my sending unit or obstructed float. I guess I'll pull it out and test it when I get an extra hour or so. I appreciate your checking yours and letting me know. Now I have to decide whether I want to pull the differential carrier on my back on the garage floor, or pay someone to do it. I have a chunking that has been eliminated everywhere else - think it may be a chipped/cracked/pulled tooth somewhere in there. It's been like that for four or five years. So far not catastrophic, but I think I've pushed my luck far enough. Got a 2.86 laying around for 80-82? ;-)
dry.

no, sorry i do not have one, you could do your rear end on jack stands, but my guess is you would not want to do another one after you got yours done, i would say take it someplace who has a lift to do it On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:34:29 -0400, "Craig aka Me Too"