Gas Gauge

Howdy,

I wrote a while back introducing myself. I am still a proud Focus owner and I am still very happy with my purchase. However, I do have a question about my gas gauge. Whenever I fill my tank the gauge never tops out at the full mark. Does anyone else have this "problem"? Is this a common problem with Focus'? I ask only because this is the first Ford product that I have owned (I've been a Ford owner for over 15 years) that has exhibited this tendency.

Just curious if this is a common thing.

Regards,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Osborn

"Rob Osborn" wrote

You don't give the year but faulty fuel senders (in the tank) were a problem in 2000 and 2001 North American Foci. This was one of the two breakdowns I had on my 2000 wagon (the other being the ignition lock).

When it starts to malfunction, it will probably simply get worse. In my case, I ran out of gas because it was telling me I had lots when I didn't. Ironically, I was starting to think that it had been a long time since I bought gas and was headed to the gas station when blah. Bone dry. Fortunately the car was still under warrantee at the time. The new one has been fine.

Unfortunately, the sender is in unit with the pump so the cost is not cheap (not sure off hand how much). If you don't want to fork out the money you could rely on the trip odometer.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I know you aren't supposed to fill the tank all the way up the neck but I do it anyway. The gauge will show just past full for about a mile then show

7/8's full right after about 2 miles of driving. After that, the gauge is pretty accurate the rest of the way down.
Reply to
rail and gun

Actually in the owners manual it says you have to fill it with the car turned off and also it takes usually 3 times to "click" off to get a more true fill-up. I drive my husband crazy because he will fill his Taurus to the first click off basically and that's it...you have to kind of nurse the fuel into a Focus. I just make sure I don't fill it up around him. That plus I burp the car by bumping into it... Good luck... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

hey, I have an '01 zts and it has always done the same thing. Even if you fill it to the point of overflowing..( I was watching a pair of killer legs go by at the time).. but have never had a real problem. I assumed that everything was ok, and left well enough alone.

Reply to
john hodgson

On my Foci I've noticed that yes it does seem to move off the full mark quickly but the markings don't really reflect the amount of fuel in the car. Each of the markings equates to approx. 10 litres with the low fuel light coming on just before the empty mark. In reality, if I fill the tank when the low fuel light comes on, it actually fills about 40 litres. Since it is a 50 litre tank, I assume that the low fuel light comes on I have about 10 litres of reserve. Personally I would rather have a true indication of the fuel used/remaining rather than have a stupid low fuel light and be coddled like an infant with Ford's "reserve" amount. Only an idiot needs "idiot lites".

The only thing I like about the knowing how much each of the markings is in fuel is that I can predict within a litre of how much my fill-up will be at the pump.

Too common in modern cars.

************************************************************ When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Reply to
Roarmeister

Sorry Dave. My Focus is a 2001 ZX3.

Reply to
Robin Osborn

That is sort of what is happening with mine. It seems to drop off just after filling but then is accurate the rest of the way through the tank.

Reply to
Robin Osborn

Hi Linda,

Guess I should read my manual more closely! LOL!

Here in Michigan we are required to shut off our engines when filling anyway. So, the engine running option is not a real option. I have owned several Ford products over the years and this is the first one with this quirk. I love my car but I was just curious to know if anyone else here was experiencing this phenomenon.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Osborn

In alt.autos.ford.focus Rob Osborn suggested:

No problems over here (99' Focus), as with any other Ford I owned, it'll stay at top for the first 100 km after filling up and fall then depending on how you drive quite fast.;(

Curious from other posts, that you seem to be allowed to let the engine run while filling the tank, somewhere. Never heard about something as stupid, it's not allowed over here.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

In message , Robin Osborn wrote

On my UK Focus I need the ignition key to open the fuel filler door. This must help to ensure that the majority of engines will be turned off while filling.

I find that I can squeeze around an extra 3 litres of petrol (gas) into the tank if I 'trickle' it in after the first auto shut-off on the dispense nozzle. However life is too short to bother with this :)

The (analogue) fuel gauge reads above just above full when the tank is filled to the first auto-shut off on the dispense nozzle. It is not very linear when reporting the fuel consumed

From full to three quarters full I get x miles From three quarters to half I also get x miles From half to a quarter I get 80% of x miles From quarter to empty I get 60% of x miles

I guess that when the low fuel light comes on I still have around 6 or 7 litres in the tank - judging by the amount it takes to refill to full and the specified fuel tank capacity.

Reply to
Alan

In the US where they have self serve gas it's common to see people leave their cars running while filling up. I've done it on occasion - usually if I needed a little gas with the station being around the corner I didn't want to turn it off that soon. Normally I will turn off the car as the guage doesn't register correctly if you fill it up while running. When you restart the car next time it's OK....I reset my trip odometer every time so I can watch what kind of mileage I'm getting. I thought the reason you guys had locking gas caps was because your gas is blooming expensive. I've only had a locking cap once and that was put on by my husband...I wouldn't bother - if they needed the gas that much more power to them... Linda ZX5 '03

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Michael & Group

Not sure where "over here" is but to clarify... it is illegal (and yes, stupid as well ) in US and Canada to have your engine running while refueling. One of the many Fire Code regulations that most responsible companies ensure are followed.

JAS (safety guy for an oil company)

Reply to
OdigoMan

Hi here in Germany we have only self-service gas stations except on highways, where the price is extra high. But you have to stop the engine everytime on every station when filling up. That is for

- safety reasons petrol is a light inflamable fluid and it is building up an explosive atmosphere very easy. So, where is no ignition, there is no danger. Smoking is forbidden also. By the time you go into the shop to pay your bill the explosive atmosphere has time to thin out.

- environmental and economical reasons while you are filling up your car and go to pay your bill, you can save gas by stopping the engine. Here in Germany we are told to stop the engine even when waiting on crossings for green light.

- insurance reasons no car insurance will pay you a cent when a thief gets your car whith the key into the ignition lock while you are paying the bill. Also not, when you leave your kids in the car and they play around and damage it or others cars or persons because they can let it move because you left the key in the car.

bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

In alt.autos.ford.focus OdigoMan suggested:

[..]
[..]

Ops, sorry, thought that would be obvious from my address. (.de == Germany)

Ah, thx for confirming.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

I agree with you but with my first Focus I didn't dare stop the car as if I restarted it I'd blow a starter fuse...in the US they aren't quite as concerned with that as with people using their cellphones at the pumps. And to see people smoking while filling up I just drive away...luckily nothing happened to me so with my "new" car the 2003 - I don't need to worry about it starting so I turn it off with no concerns. Plus we can pay at the pump with our credit card so we don't need to go inside to pay so they use less help - usually only one or two people to run a store and gas station. My husband is a volunteer fireman so I got lectures from day one about safety and fires and cars...no kids to worry about though. I don't know about insurance as I only drive Fords that people here won't steal ( tongue in cheek)...Pintos and Escorts and Tempos now Focus...mostly the low end of cars...I even left keys in my Tempo in Detriot , Mi. and they wouldn't even bother with it...darn. Enjoy - I love my car... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Never happened, just a theory check out

2 they tried everything to get the gas to ignite, it didn't.

And to see people smoking while filling up I just drive away...luckily nothing happened to me so I would too.

Like if a fire does start don't pull the hose out of the tank, it will just become a flamthrower, and have less air to work with, hit the shutoff first, see above link, IIRC they went over that issue also.

Reply to
Me

There is currently an extended manufacturer warranty program for the faulty fuel pump on some 2001 models. I had the same problem on my focus which I just bought a month ago pre-owned and was able to get it fixed for free by a local dealership. Just tell them that the car is stalling and they'll replace it for free. Because the sensor is a part of the fuel pump, bingo - that'll fix the problem and you won't have to pay a penny.

Reply to
Arasmas

Reply to
Chris