'87 C4 - A/C: Recharge stock or convert to new refrigerant?

Hi all,
My '87 coupe's A/C is blowing cool but not cold so should I recharge the original A/C and keep the setup all original for that future collector or
convert to the new refrigerant (R12 vs R34?)?
Surprise, surprise, the cost at local garages (for recharge or conversion) and the nearby Chevy dealership (conversion only) is exactly the same -- $200.
Thoughts??
Best to all.
Ed B.
What is involved in the conversion for $200 ? I think it would be a selling point to a future owner if it was upgraded because once R12 is gone...its gone forever.
By the way, its R134 (and not R34).
To actually be correct it is R134a used as the R12 replacement.
dave wrote:

stick with r-12, cools better, in your system and it has a lower temp/ pressure curve.

This is an annual topic for this NG. Last year someone mentioned FR-12 as being the solution to everyone's problem. (Higher cooling capacity than R134a, lower head pressure than R-12, ozone OK, no great conversion cost, etc. etc.) These are some current web pages that take some of the gloss from FR12. (keep in mind that there may be some "sour grapes" here from outfits that don't want the expense of handling three refrigerants)
http://www.refimax.com/products/fr12.htm
http://www.autofrost.com/oil /
http://store.lenzdist.com/product.php?xProdr0
My A/C guy (Griffin's in San Diego) still has me on R-12 and doesn't want to convert older Corvettes to R134a because of the high heat load in the car. Last summer I asked him about FR-12 and he said he wanted to wait. I'm cool for now and don't plan on another complete service till next year. (Meanwhile the system is loaded with R-12 and a florescent dye -- Costs a few bucks to shine the black light on it every couple of months to spot minor leaks before they cause me to mortgage the farm.)
Anyone else have any FR-12 experience ???
Paul H.
Greg wrote:

fr-12? freeze 12 is that what you are refering to? if so i have a lot. of experience with it.

Greg wrote:

Based on the second link that Paul H. gave, FR-12 and freeeze 12 are different products.
But, what WAS your experience???
it works ok, not as good as r-12 and it runs at a little higher pressure than r-12, we use it in fords for the most parts because of the spring lock connectors that are very prone to leak

Hi all,
Thanks for the great info. I'll post results when I make the final decision.
Ed B.