A/C recharge port.

Hi all I recently aquired a 94 Ford Tempo. I Want to recharge the AC. It says use R134a So I got can with the nozle attached to it. The Problem is that the nozle doesn't fit on the only port I can find located at the front of the car and right on top. Is there a diff port I am not seeing or does the nozzle just not fit. If there is another one, where is it??????? Thanks. Steve

Reply to
Steven Szczech

are ya sure its 134

hurc ast

Reply to
formoco

Look on the firewall, on top of a skinny canister.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

High side and low side ports are different sizes.... keep looking. These cans are designed to be connected to the low side port. I'm not a big fan of DIY AC repairs, especially when the can contains sealers (these can make it so no shop will touch your car). Modern AC equipment can be spendy to repair and I don't know of many shops that don't "prove" the AC charge before servicing.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The low side port on your Tempo is in the paseenger side rear corner of the engine compartment on the side of the accumulator. Stand by the passenger fender, put your head down by the hood hinge and look down. It takes a 90 degree fitting or quick connect to hook up to it. You won't do it with a straight hose or a can with no hose.

I agree with Jim, AC repair is not really a DIY job. There's a lot more to it than just "recharging" the system. If the refrigerant has leaked out, so has an undertermined amount of oil. Getting the oil right without the proper equipment is like adding oil to your engine with no dipstick. The leak in your system is probably in the connection just below the service port that you found, or the compressor shaft seal. Both are real common leakers on Tempos.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks I will look for it there. Probably covered with dirt or something. If it doesn't work, I will take it to a garage. Steve

Reply to
Steven Szczech