92 LT-1 Question

I have to replace the timing cover gasket on my 1992 Vette w/ LT-1, Its very different from what im used to in the 80s. If I dont mess with the timming gears is it still possiblle to screw up the timing?
For instance the optispark distributor on the front...is there only one way this will go back on? Any help appreciated...please no guesses or assumptions...Thanks all.
Optispark has "keyed" coupling sleeve, can't mess that one up, but depending on if you remove just the harmonic damper wheel, or the hub and wheel...hub to crank is keyed, wheel to hub is not, so you need to mark it.
Might consider replacing opti while you're at it, though.
-GeorgeC