Replace timing belt on VW Polo Mk3?

Hi

I have a 1998 Mk3 (6N) VW Polo 1.4 auto. The timing belt was last replaced in 2004 at 35,000 miles. The car has now done 64,000 miles. So 9 years and 29,000 miles have elapsed since the last belt change.

The car does a very low annual mileage of about 1,200 miles per year and is in good condition.

Is it due for a timing belt / water pump change?

Is it possible to check the condition of the belt?

Best regards

David

Reply to
davidandbella

According to Autodata, VW do not have a service interval for timing belt replacement on this vehicle. It is listed as an interference engine however, so if you intend keeping it then it would be wise to replace it.

The water pump is driven by the cam-belt, so replacement would be sensible.

Autodata lists belt replacement time at 1.3 hours for engine code AEX, and 1.6 hours for engine code AFH. Pump replacement adds 0.3 hours to that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It would be a very good plan to replace the belt, tensioners and pump. Rubber belts degrade with age, tensioner bearings take in moisture and plastic covered bearings crack up. Water pumps like to be used daily or the bearings rust up and fail. I have seen very low mileage belt failure for all these reasons (on arious cars), the results are horrific, usually a 4 figure repair bill, which usually means an otherwise very good, low mileage car gets scrapped, which I find sad and not environmentally sound.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, definately. Replace the plastic idler & tensioner too.

Reply to
Tim..

For years VAG didn't specify cambelt changes [*boggle*]. I had a Scirocco years back, with no chnage interval, changed the belt at about

8-9 years, 55-60k miles, it was cracked half through. In short, yes, change it, and the pump, and the tensioners.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks very much to everyone who replied - all very helpful.

Best regards

David

Reply to
davidandbella