Battery cables/ gauge of wire for 1963?

I need to replace both cables on my 63 SB/ no AC. What is the correct gauge of wire to construct the cables? Thanx- lib

lib wrote:

correct connectors. I don't know the gauge, but for battery cables, the smaller the gauge number, the better; 8 gauge or less, preferably 4 gauge, would probably be best.

http://www.licorvette.com/wiring_and_battery__cables.htm
--
"Key"
=====

I am aware that the replacement cables are available from many sources. However, I don't care for the original "spring ring type" ends. I want to make up new cables with the ends that squeeze on when the thru-bolt is tightened down. That is why I am inquiring about the cable gauge. I am not concerned about "factory correct numbers, etc," as I am rebuilding this back to a dependable driver, not a museum piece. It was a fun, reliable car when I put it away, and that's what my goal is when finished. Thanx- lib

lib wrote:

< http://www.picotech.com/auto/waveforms/cranking_petrol.html (add about 20-25% for a 'vette engine.)
Wire size chart: < http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
AWG 2 bare minimum, AWG 0 OK, AWG 2/0 conservative.
Remember, stranded - less fatigue from vibration and is easier to handle.
--
PJ

well you didn't say that to begin with. see PJ's responce then..
--
"Key"
=====

1963 Corvette Shop Manual schematic shows No. 4 cable for positive and No. 4 strap for negative.

JimS wrote:

"When all else fails, read the book!" Why didn't I think of that?!
Thanx again for the good info. I appreciate the assistance- lib