Mini-van battery cables

On my 2002 Caravan and a friend's 1996 T&C, the lead battery cable clamps need replacing. The cables are too short to use an aftermarket clamp-on-wire type replacement battery clamp. It's ridiculous that on both of these vehicles, they didn't use cables that are an inch or two longer.

The service manual and the dealer states that in such cases the whole battery wiring harness needs to be replaced. I find it hard to believe that no service kits or work arounds are available.

As a worse case repair, I'll cut and splice the cable but wonder if there is a better procedure.

Anyone else run into this?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

That comes from lack of service. You have to service the battery now and then. You can cut off the old formed terminal and still be able to install those after market lead terminals. You may have to separate the cables from the bundle and pull them up. It will work

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Doug

Had the same problem with my 2001 RAM pickup. Just bought a substitute cable from Checker and went around the cable bundle. Someday when I get some time I will splice it in on the battery end and hook up the original. However I do have a nice crimper that will make great splices that should be no problem.

The dealer service person caught this and was not able to figure out why it worked. Without a doubt he was not a Glen Beasley.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Glenn, thanks for your input but it wasn't really from a lack of service. The lead clamps simply cracked after being removed, bolted on and tightened quite a few times over the life of the vehicles. It was not a matter of corrosion.

Separate the bundle? I'll try - that's looks to be quite an ordeal in terms of accessability on the '96.

Doug

Reply to
Doug