Battery cables corroding

A generic question - I just put in a new battery in the Foad about a = year ago and the cables were original, but shiney and no corrosion. I = had trouble starting it this week and saw that both + and - cables were = highly corroded from the battery and at least 3-4 inched under the = insulation. I was able to clean it up enough to keep it going until I = have time to swap them out.

Battery top and posts were all clean and not a bit of acid. I put some = baking soda on it and no bubbling, etc. Any ideas what might be causing = that corrosion on the cables?

Thankye right kindly in add vance.

Bob

Reply to
GuvBob

and the cables were original, but shiney and no corrosion. I had trouble starting it this week and saw that both + and - cables were highly corroded from the battery and at least 3-4 inched under the insulation. I was able to clean it up enough to keep it going until I have time to swap them out.

soda on it and no bubbling, etc. Any ideas what might be causing that corrosion on the cables?

I have never had a problem with corrosion. I keep a 2 litre bottle of coca cola in the garage. Once a week when washing my truck, I pour coke over the battery. After 15 minutes I rinse with water.....

Been doing this for years, never any corrosion...

Reply to
75yrs.experience

year ago and the cables were original, but shiney and no corrosion. I = had trouble starting it this week and saw that both + and - cables were = highly corroded from the battery and at least 3-4 inched under the = insulation. I was able to clean it up enough to keep it going until I = have time to swap them out.

some baking soda on it and no bubbling, etc. Any ideas what might be = causing that corrosion on the cables?

Thanks, I'm trying to do this, but the lovely wife is drinking all the = Co-Coler.

Reply to
GuvBob