bellhousing

anyone know where i can get a bellhousing to match up a 70 350 to a ZF 6?

google can be your friend....
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q 70+corvette+parts&btnG=Google+Search or http://tinyurl.com/l67e9
g'day
--
"Key"
=====

When you tell us what a ZF 6 is, maybe someone can help you.
If you mean a ZF transmission used in a Corvette from 1989 to 1996, RPO MN6, then that is different.
I'd start looking at an '89 to '91 Corvette with an L98 and 6 speed, as the L98 is a Chevy small block we all know and love as a small block, not the GenXXX whatever they call a "small block" anymore.
Now you have to convert to a hydraulic clutch, or you could have a scattershield drilled for the ZF from some place such as Lakewood.
Corvette ran a dual mass flywheel with the ZF but some have converted to regular flywheels but they have a noise issue.
You could check Corvette Forum in the C3 tech area if you need more info.

Tom in Missouri wrote:

I'm guessing he is talking about a ZF Six Speed that they put in certain year Corvettes. I have no idea where they make them; but I have some friends working at ZF in Cincinnati; so maybe that's where they are made?
That's correct. I want to put a 5 or 6 speed in my 68. It has a 70 350 in it that runs great, I just want to put a modern trans in it without having to spend $3000 for a kit. I've found the flywheel, just need to figure out the other components. Any help is appreciated.
Anon wrote:

The six speed transmission used in Corvettes is an Regular Production Option (RPO) MN6. It is built by Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen (ZF) of Germany. There is no such thing as ZF 6.
There is an MN6, just like an M20, M21, M22, M40, and so on. There is a ZF 6-speed transmission, just like a Muncie 4-speed transmission, but there is no ZF 6.
This swap has been done a few times on the Corvette Forum. Since the CF guys are picture-posting happy most of the time, it is a good place to check as there will be at least one guy there who has posted pictures of what is involved.
And you know the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words.
There are also a few swaps of the Borg Warner T-56 transmission, which is more common and cheaper to find, as it was in the Camaro and Firebird, with many more produced than 6-speed Corvettes.
ZF had exclusive repair contract on their transmission originally with Chevrolet. When one broke, it had to be sent back to them, repaired, and returned to be installed at the dealer. This was a big sore point on warranty repairs as there was a flat rate cost each time, when sometimes it was some minor problem that could have been fixed at half or even a fourth of the cost.
The ZF parts are now available outside of ZF but they are still not cheap. This is something you might want to consider in the swap.
Again, Corvette Forum is a good source of information, as is the ZR-1 Net, as the ZR-1s all used the MN6 transmission.
The most common modern transmission swap is the 700R4 to get an overdrive, but then, it is an auto, and I don't want one, either. The next is to use a T-5 with a kit by Keisler (sp?) and another company. There are pros and cons to each. I think the other one pivots the T-5 sideways slightly to get the shifter to align with the shifter hole without expensive modification. The T-5 is a heavier shift feel than the Muncie and some don't like it. From what I understand, you do not do the speed shifting or crash shifting like you would with an old Muncie.
A place to check is this site by Noel Carboni. http://home.att.net/~ncarboni/NC82.html
He did both a 5-speed and a 6-speed in his '82 with lots of explanation and pictures.

if you want a 6 speed... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 59867&highlight=ZF6
Includes pictures of a ZF
ZF 6 Speed http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 15853&highlight=ZF6
Borg Warner T5 in a C3 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 63546&highlight=transmission+swap
Keisler 5 speed install problems? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 60719&highlight=T5+swap
bellhousing / T-5 swap http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 02983&highlight=T5+swap
4+3 Swap to a ZF 6spd http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 41021&highlight=T56+swap
T56 installation ***UPDATE*** http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 75932&highlight=Richmond+swap
What is the info on Tremec overdrive http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t 37374&highlight=transmission+swap

Michael wrote:

Jegs is about $3K for a 6 speed; and they are usually a good indicator of what things are going for these days. Have you checked junk yards for a late model Camaro 6 speed?