Ignition control module question

I have a 76 vette and I had to replace the ingintion control module about 3 years ago - the first time since new.
Now - today it is experiencing the same symptoms - it died on me travelling
along, let it sit for a bit while I checked it out and then away it went again.
When I replaced it, I did liberally apply the silicon grease to the back of it. Now - the replacement I got from Canadian Tire (the equivalent of a WalWart) and I am wondering if there is something else I should have replaced at the same time? Or are control modules all not equal and maybe I should have replaced it with one directly from GM?
thanks.

HEI system. Usually the primary of the coil intermittantly shorts out causing damage to the module. Another possibility is your pickup coil. Every time the vacuum advance pulls in or releases, the pickup coil leads flex. There is just so much flexing a 29 year old pair of wires can take, until the strands give out. Disconnect the pickup coil, and then put an ohm meter across the pickup coil leads. Connect a piece of vacuum hose to the vacuum advance and apply vacuum to the hose. This will make the coil rotate. Watch for any fluctuation in the ohm meter indicating broken wires. By doing this, you will also find out if your vacuum advance is working.
Good luck,
RON =======================================================Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Thanks for the pointers - I will check those out as I take a peek at it, and I think to be sure _ I will get the delco parts this time.

I checked around and there appear to be 3 main makes of parts available here: - Delco - Nehaus(sp?) (about the same price as the Delco) - Excelor ( at about 1/2 again the price of the others. They say these are performance parts (but on a stock 350 smogger?))
Should I just go with the original delco's?
I plan on replacing the ignition coil, pickup coil, and control module. Why bother messing around on an almost 30 year old car.....?
thanks