Power Booster Meets Mr. Freeze...

...so it seems.
Was gone for the month of January here in LA and during that time there was a couple of days of freezing temps. When I hopped in the 'ol jalopy in February I
had zero power assist on the brakes. After pulling the rebuilt booster, after 2 months of service, the friggin' thing had a 3" crack in the forward shell.
So, my question to you in the 'frost belt' is: Are these plastic boosters prone to cracking when subjected to such temps?
Kinda makes an argument to revert back to metal-shelled boosters...
I have a Mercury Cougar and the freaking plastic manifold cracked..cost me $1100..with towing motels parts etc..YES THE WHOLE MANIFOLD IS PLASTIC on the big 4.6 ltr engine.( $461 for the manifold) And you wonder why my next car wil be a Jap/German import. .....American crap.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tow company said they get several of these and the same for the big block Lincolns.....it is a real money maker for them.
Thundergod wrote:

So, the cracked manifold happened as a result of below freezing temps?
I'm with ya, the last few Merkin cars I've owned have been disapointing to say the least. I'm shopping for a 4X4 pickup at the moment and the Tacoma access cab with the V6 / 6speed looks like a winner.
Good luck unloading that 'cat' BTW.
Sorry to hear about that. Is the part under warranty?
Here on the east coast we've been getting far below freezing temperatures lately and I've not had a problem with the new booster in my '91.
Of course, it's not my car anymore... Sold it on Saturday.
And there just might be a '98 C5 in the garage tomorrow night...
-rev

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Yeah, they covered it and credited me toward a Cardone remanufactured unit. Hope their plastic is better than the last!

??? I'm not convinced that 25˚ would have cracked it.

Probably manufacturing stresses. I doubt weather could have much to do with it.

The '91 was a really good car. 2 years and 30k+ miles and it was one of the most reliable cars I've ever had. Pilot bushing, brake booster (one), u-joints, belt tensioner, and the radio were the only problems. I already miss it!
-rev
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Well I guess in perspective I've had to do the same percentage of work after 141K of daily driving in LA. I must say the '89 Mustang I had before the 'Vette was more reliable though.