Ready for winter

Took the time to get the Corvette ready for winter. Oil and filter, lube (yes, it has grease zerks), air filter, checked anti freeze pH, and freezing point, washed it with Dawn, washed the inside-windows in
and out, put on the rain tires and retrained the sensors. Need to add some additive to the rearend, getting some chatter in reverse while turning. Then I'll be ready to head to SC to see my son for Thanksgiving.
Damn, I love to drive this car............... -- Dad 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd 64 Red/red/white top/4spd
Yep, ain't life grand!
Dad wrote:

================As a matter of fact life sucks... ! Got a call Yesderday that my sister in law died... (Brother passed away in 2002) ... Heading out this morning ...Earlier this morning my neighbor died...!
Nothing good ...my neighbor had a 34 ford street rod 98 percent finished ...more then 100K invested in it... sold his vette a couple of years ago to get the money to finish this car... what a life !
My brother still has 3 Corvettes in his garage... his C5 Convertible was listed in his will to be given to me... I never had the guts to even ask his wife when she would be ready to get rid of his cars... (or other toys) .. SO I guess I will get the C5 in the very near future.
BUT DAMN I can not say I'm at all happy at the moment... this "He who dies with the most toys BULL SHIT just does not cut it ... Drive em while you can Boys & Girls...
Bob G. 64 72 & 98 Convertibles 76 & 79 Coupes
"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message

weeks. That's why I don't put the damn thing away for the winter. Why in God's name would I buy a car, hide it, take the depreciation, clean it, and keep all the miles off it so some unknown person can drive the hell out of it when I'm gone? That's my job man!!
The one that dies with and used the most toys has already won, God rest their souls. In place of a moment of silence, crank'im up!!
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51 - 130 yesterday, corn is off & can now see

displaying their cars -- mostly C4s and 5s. None of them drove their cars much at all -- except to car shows and the occasional Sunday drive. They all expressed frustration in getting any reliable service from the local Chevy dealers. By contrast, I spoke to a young man who had an 2005 Honda S 2000 which he drove in autocrosses and as a daily driver -- with 90k trouble-free miles on it. When I had my Corvettes back 37 + years ago, I drove them every day -- hard. They were'nt exactly trouble-free, but I could fix em myself for the most part. If have one -- you ought to drive it. Life is too short.

tww1491 wrote:

Humm, he had to buy that as soon as the 2005s were introduced and then average 30 thousand a year. Seems a bit of a reach. As for the Chevy dealers, you get good ones and bad ones. There are some I trust to work on mine, and others I trust will screw it up. But drive 'em thats what they were designed for. And as far as he who dies with the most toys, well he's still dead. Enjoy it while it lasts!

My '63 had over 260,000 miles on it when I sold it. Used and put up wet many times but always maintained. Guy who bought it drove it straight through from Dallas to Seattle in two days and said it performed perfectly. Burned a lot of gas though.
PDDeen
Dad wrote:

I think I may get mine ready for winter later this week. My list is shorter...
- Wash it - Polish it - Pack away the painted roof - Install the tinted roof - Take it for a drive
I love to drive my 40th, and I love Arizona winters.

I put the body-color roof on in the winter and the tinted one in the summer. I made the switch today. Of course, your winters are a whole lot nicer.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops, obviously)
CardsFan wrote:

stick-on perf stuff from the inside and giving it a good cleaning.
C5 is more problematic. Sandblasted the windshield in our SantaAna windstorm two weeks ago. Much luckier than others who lost homes and fine cars in the fires.
Now gathering estimates on a new windshield -- when you say "HUD" they pay attention.
-- pj

I didn't consider that in AZ the sun would be brutal coming through the tinted top in the summer. It gets warm here, but nothing like the desert southwest. I use the body-color top in the winter because it has insulation and I stay warmer. I like the look of the car with body-color top on marginally better.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
CardsFan wrote:

Yes, the car gets far too hot with the tint top in summer, Even in spring and fall the sun is too strong for it. Winter though is great. The sun keeps the car warm, as it lets in just enough sun to keep it nice.
I never owned a Corvette before moving here, but I did own a Triumph TR7. I drove it in New York, and when I visited Colorado during the winter. It was really bad in the snow. It wasn't all that good on dry pavement either :-).
Jim '92 Ruby coupe, auto (My wife can't drive a standard, and I didn't have the heart to buy one that she could never drive) (both tops)
Snip

the guy said the installer at the plant got carried away with the sealer on the top outside edges. Not so, it's built that way and he put it in without it and the resulting air leak was like driving with the top unlatched. He broke the new one trying to remove it and it had to have a second one put in. Since I had the manual I took it with me to show them how it had to be fitted. No problem this time, it's the way it was designed to give the corners more room to flex. HUD glass was not the problem, just paying attention to how the car was built was.
Dad wrote:

Make sure you get the GM BRANDED posi-additive. I've heard many many times other name brands don't really stop the clutch chatter with the GM Posi.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I had the local Chevy dealer put the additive in. It ain't cheap, but it sure did fix the problem.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070501090807060505080000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
CardsFan wrote:

brands won't even quiet down a GM posi in good condition, once the clutches start chattering in corners.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler