1989 colt -- weathe stripping -- complexity etc

hi, X-POSTED 1989 dodge / plymouth colt, mitsubishi engine, chrysler (warranty). water in the trunk (on the passenger side) and on the front passenger
FLOOR (xs) (it is not antifreeze / oil / fuel etc.) had bodywork on the passenger side (year 2000) so likely is due to seals eroding...
question: i have to bring it to the mechanic tomorrow (who diagnosed this (over the phone) as a weather stripping problem) and i would be most grateful in learning how complex fixing the problem (the weather stripping) is? could this procedure be in the diy category? thank you in advance!

Most likely cause of the leak in the trunk is the tail light assembly. Remove the tail light, remove the putty type sealer that the factory used to seal the light to the body. Reseal the light using silcone sealer and your leak should be fixed.
For the leak in the front I would first check the A\C drain tube to see if it is plugged up. If the A\C drain tube is not plugged check for a damaged body seam from the bodywork job.
Mike wrote:

hi Mike, thank you very much! sincerely Tanya
On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:36:22 -0400, Tanya

If it is the weather-stripping (the squidgy bits of rubber around the doors etc.) then its very DIY Autozone sels it for about $8 for 12ft, you just peel off the backing and stick took me about 3 minutes to redo the stripping around the pfront passenger door on my 87 caravan

K`Tetch wrote:

hi, thank you very much for replying... it is the weather stripping (all of it just about...) not sure if it would take me 3 minutes or three years:) thanks! sincerely Tanya
On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:23:45 -0400, Tanya

covered in glue and backing paper. i trimmed all the bad bits off with a stanley knife, and then wiped down the base piece with a paper towel (to give a clean surface to stick to). Then just peel and stick, and if it takes you more than an hour, i'd be surprised.
K`Tetch wrote:

you got more faith in me than i do:) for example, what is the base piece? also i imagine that there is only 1 size (width) of self-stick rubber? although looking at it today, it does seem doAble... thank you sincerely Tanya
On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:23:45 -0400, Tanya

The stick-on stuff will NOT do the job adequately - it will be worse than what you have. The factory stuff for a colt is not cheap, but can be replaced in less than 1/2 hour per door - and is a DIY job if you are handy.

snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

thanks... if it got worse than now, i should invest in a paddle, and a sail vs. the material that you describe... :) i bought a lot of sealant... and adhesive etc. i imagine i should contact a colt dealer to get the factory weather-stripping. thank you! sincerely, Tanya
RTV. I RTV my weather stripping rubber gaskets back on. As long as the strips are still useable (not chewed to bits) I put RTV Silicone on the back and just squish them into place. Works on rusted doors (especially where the holes that hold the clips are totally toasted).

hi, thanks for the info... what is RTV? sincerely Tanya
Lurker wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:46:44 -0400, Tanya

Room Temperature Vulcanizing is what it stands for - otherwise known as "silicone sealant"

thank you!