1989 Dodge Omni Noise Drivetrain ?

I have changed both cv joints, new brakes and rotors and calipers. I am getting a 'thumping' sound in the drivetrain. It is not evident when the front is jacked up, but really there when a 'load' is on the car. It is a drivetrain noise that is there even when I shut the car off and coast. A slight 'out of round' is noticed on the right side of the wheel hub. The car has 105,000 miles and runs great. Changes tires and wheels still cannot rid the noise.

Reply to
Jpetrachkoff

how's your ball joints and struts?

Reply to
rob

Struts 50,000 miles, had a 'mechanic' change the cv joints and made no mention of ball joint problems...are there two ball joints or just a lower one ?

Reply to
Jpetrachkoff

upper and lower on each side.........total of 4

how many cv joints did he change?

Reply to
rob

Driver's side CV replaced, right side replaced last year. No tears in boots. Seems tight...Appreciate your help...

Reply to
Jpetrachkoff

And did you have the strut bearings replaced at the same time?

Reply to
David

The car had the struts on it prior to my purchase at 50,000 miles. Could the those bearings cause a drivetrain type noise ? Is there any way to check them? Thank You !!

Reply to
Jpetrachkoff

If it is clunking noise, yes it could cause your noise. Not sure on how to check. They should be replaced when you change struts, but they are around $30.00 so people usually just leave the old ones on, and have clunking noise from the front end.

Reply to
David

The top strut tower on the side that is quiet appears to have some play in it. Jacked the front end up and applied light pressure under the tire and the top of the strut does move. Can I still hear the noise on one side when in fact it may be originating on the 'other' side ?

Reply to
Jpetrachkoff