1989 Dodge Aries 2.2

I have a 89 Dodge Aries with a 2.2 engine. Automatic, air. It belongs to someone else, but to make a long story short, They had the engine removed, claimed they shaved the head which I imagine they would have had to put in a new head gasket. They couldn't get it started or they got it started and ran rough. So since I have a little time, I told them I would look at it. After only changing the old gas and checking the cam belt timing, it fired up. Ran a little rough but it's been sitting. They did't tighten the torque converter bolts and it brought one, I got it out and put in four new ones. Then it started throwing oil out the oil pan gasket, and I found the gasket was pushed out in two places. So when I started draining the oil, I found it had some water in it. Now, here is the question and what do I do?????????? I've been reading that these engines have some kind of torque and stretch bolts that shouldn't be reused. I'm assuming that when they went back together with the engine, that they checked for cracks. And I'm also assuming that they reused the old bolts and just didn't torque them enough. I took off the valve cover again, and used my torque wrench just to test my assumtion, and found the bolts didn't even have 65 ft lbs of torque. This would make it get a little water in the oil, "won't it." Do I need to buy a new head gasket and start over or just buy new bolts and torque them to 55 ft lbs and then a quarter turn more? Please answer this post.

Reply to
Robin

Hooboy. Sounds like people who had no business ever holding so much as a bright green Playskool plastic My First Screwdriver assembled this engine. If they didn't tighten the torque converter bolts and didn't put in new TTY (Torque To Yield) head bolts, and messed up the oil pan gasket, it's almost certain they also farqued up lots of other things on the job.

Yes, you need new head bolts and a new head gasket. I'm betting they're far from the last things you'll need to get it running reliably right.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Since you have water in the oil, get the head pressure checked as well.

Reply to
Rick Blaine