1994 Town & Country ABS Brakes - none in snow or slippery conditions

Our T&C on snowy, icy and even wet roads seem to have no brakes at all. The pedal goes all the way to the floor and we slide - luckily no one has been in the intersections we had slide through while trying to stop.

Is there a way to disable the ABS system so maybe we have some kind of brakes?

Is there a recall for this problem anyone knows about?

What would cause this problem - the computer?

We have had a problem as well with the cruise control. Seems once engaged it will not disengage and also the speed keeps accelerating up to 90 MPH - even with both feet on the brake pedal it doesn't slow down. Had to put the vehicle in neutral and shut off the engine to coast - without power steering - to the side of the road.

What is up with this vehicle???? Death trap waiting for a time to happen. We did a CarFacts check on it and it says no accidents or anything and was a leased vehicle for 7 years of its life before we got it.

We need some answers before winter (we live in Michigan). With only a part time job to pay bills with this isn't something I can throw money at to solve the problem with hit and miss solutions.

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
Pirate Pete

you should hear and feel the pedal making a grinding noise when this happens. It is normal and it is working if you feel this.

No there isnt, and why would you want to do this? If your wheels were locked up as you were sliding you would not have been able to steer the vehicle!!!! Thats one of the reasons why you have ABS brakes.

Why would there be?

No problem, unfamiliar with the vehicle, take it in a parking lot make some panic stops to get used to the system

That could be a problem, maybe have the dealer perform a scan test to see if there is something wrong?

It is a very good vehicle, I owned one for 10 years and loved it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you for the quick reply Glenn.

Still is scary to have ones foot on the brake pedal all the way to the floor and still moving forward - especially thru intersections. May never get used to it but certainly will slow down before the intersections, maintain an even further distance from the vehicle ahead of me and most of all will keep the full coverage insurance on the T&C. We had a 1993 Caravan - an LE I think - and never experienced the pedal to the floor problem with it in the many years we had it.

Again thank you Glenn for the information.

As for the cruise control we never use it - not after the last time at

90 MPH and still climbing.

Pete

Reply to
Pirate Pete

Pete, The 93 that you had, used a totally differentABS system, Im sure you have had yours recalled and possibly experienced problems with it as about

95% of all owners did with that year vehicle ABS . But you are right, when you went into an ABS skid, the pedal was firm and hard but still came out with the same results and you still maintianed steering control.
Reply to
maxpower

Never had the opportunity to get it recalled. Was on an expressway and some guy who had left the highway to avoid an accident backed onto the highway and into the side of the 93 Caravan - just behind the drivers door. Thankfully no one was hurt - the van was totalled and the idiot wanted to sue me for hitting him. Go figure. Being a retired cop I got pics of skid marks, the tire marks he made in the grass, where the point of impact was and all later that day. He dropped the suit.

Sure looks like everyone is having headlight problems from what I've read so far (me too). Again thanks Glenn for replying and giving of advice that is competent.

Pete

Reply to
Pirate Pete

There is a fuse box under the hood and you can take out the fuse that controls the ABS, that should take care of the ABS.

Reply to
Adam

I know how you feel about that ABS crap, it makes you feel like you have no control over your vehicle. Our truck does the same thing even on like sandy intersections when we try to stop the pedal pulsates

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
Adam

Depending on the truck and what type of ABS it has. If your truck has only rear wheel anti lock brakes you will get the brakes to lock up on the front. Rear wheel anti lock is designed so that the rear of the vehicle wont cause the vehicle to slide around sideways in case of skid. I never did like that system!! As far as disabling the ABS on the 93 caravan, sure you can disconnect the ABS controller under the battery and you will have just normal breaking, No ABS at all. And the brakes will act as a normal vehicle.BUT.. if you live in a state that requires emissions and state inspection once or twice a year it will fail. the 94 is the same way. But if you get used to the system, it works well. I put my wife in the 94 I bought many years ago and we went to an empty parking lot when there was snow on the ground and played with the brakes as she got used to them. They do work!!

Reply to
maxpower

If your on ice and the ABS kicks in and if you keep pushing on the pedal i've noticed the ABS doesn't work as good. But if you use light pressure like you would with a vehicle with no ABS the ABS works great. Thats my experience anyway.

Reply to
Tim

In other words - do not brake hard enough to lock the wheels. ABS is sloppy snow conditions is DANGEROUS as it will basically turn your brakes OFF, not allowing you to skid down through to pavement. All ABS does is guarantee you will hit what-ever you hit square on.

The ABS just quit on my TransSport - and it's staying that way until spring, for sure.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

ABS = Anything But Stopping

Reply to