2008 Grand Caravan Auto Temp Control question

Re: 2008 Grand Caravan, SXT package M, 4.0 w/6 speed auto.
When the A/C system is set to AUTO, does the AC compressor still cycle or is it shut down if the set temp is greater than the outside air
temp?
I'd like to know since my gas mileage will be a bit better if I have it shut down completely, rather than have the compressor cycling, and the system adding warm air to raise the air temp.
The manual really does not address this, other than telling you how to work it.
Thanks in advance.

The a/c cycles on and off when it is set on auto or manual. When the temp in the vehicle reaches the set temp the compressor disengages
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech