experience with auto temp control

I have to set my ATC control to 85 degrees in order to get a good warm temperature in the cabin, although when first starting it heats cabin quiet nicely. But when the ATC operates for 30-45 minutes, it only puts out only lukewarm air (sometimes cool air), even when set to 85 degrees. I would think that with temp set at 85 it would put out pretty warm air with outside temp at 33 degrees. But sometimes I have to set at 90 degrees in order to get inside cabin warm enough (it puts out max heat at 90, which it should). Then I have to lower setting because it gets too hot, which defeats purpose of 'automatic temp control). If I reduce temp to about 80 degrees, I usually get cold air from vents.

My question-should you have to set the ATC to 85 degrees on a cold day in order to keep the interior warm? I have never had auto temp control before, but I can get warmer in my wife's Honda with the twist control knob.

The cooling works great, however.

2000 Ltd 5.0 V8, 2WD 47000 miles most all power

PS-dealer says it works like it is supposed to.

Reply to
stevef

Steve:

You should be able to keep your cabin nice and warm with your Auto Temp set at 70 deg F.

At a setting of 70 it should heat very rapidly then level off to a nice 70 degree blend, automatically uping the velocity and/or temp to compensate for loss thru the cabin while traveling.

The point to the auto system it that you don't have to fiddle with it, so your system is definatley not operating as intended.

Scott R Roanoke, Va.

2004 XLS-Sport 2002 Land Rover Discovery SD

Reply to
Scott Rice

yours sounds very similar to mine. i was driving yesterday and outside temp was not real cold, but pretty cool and interior temp was uncomfortably cool.

the only way i could get heat from auto temp control was to set on 90; if set on 85, it would blow cold air, and occasionally lukewarm air.

i have taken car in for several years. my dealer says the auto temp is working as it should. i think this year i am going to escalate to Ford,

Reply to
stevef

hi, I have a 99 v-8 and its exactly the same. I actually hate it as if I lower the temp from 85 or 90 it turns the air on. Its not like you can get a trickle of heat if you turn the fan off like on the non auto systems. If you find the anser I'd like to know as I feel exactly as you do.

Reply to
davidgmg

lower the temp from 85 or 90 it turns the air on. Its not like you can get a trickle of heat if you turn the fan off like on the non auto systems. If you find the anser I'd like to know as I feel exactly as you do.

Reply to
Big Shoe

Maybe they left this off of the later models, but on my '97 there IS a manual mode. But the auto mode works extremely well for me, so I think that you might have a malfunction - maybe the infamous "blend door" problem?

If you do make a large temperature change on the readout, it will kick up the fan to a high speed as it tries to get to the new temperature as quickly as it can. Try a more gradual adjustment - 1 or 2 degrees at a time. Maybe that will help.

Also, mine will not immediately fire up the fan when I first start the engine, it waits until the engine warms up, so there may be a temp sensor under the hood that has quit working.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

My fan works as yours, it gradually increases as temp rises and seems to work as it should. I believe the dealer says it works fine because he doesn't ride in it for 30-60 minutes.

If you do make a large temperature change on the readout, it will kick up the fan to a high speed as it tries to get to the new temperature as quickly as it can. Try a more gradual adjustment - 1 or 2 degrees at a time. Maybe that will help.

Also, mine will not immediately fire up the fan when I first start the engine, it waits until the engine warms up, so there may be a temp sensor under the hood that has quit working.

Reply to
stevef

Mine does not switch. Perhaps there is a vacuum control that leaks down. Still, the lack of hot air may be the blend door issue. Maybe yours is not completely broken but getting hung up at times?

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

I have been trying to get dealer to work on this since I have owned car. Purchased new in 2000.

If I can get dealer to acknowledge a problem, would I be justified in asking that it be fixed under (Ford) warranty since I have complained basically almost every year that I have owned the car? I now have about 47K miles.

However, I did purchase extended warranty, not Ford Motor Company. Purchased warranty thru selling dealer. "Herb Kauhry" wrote in message news:j snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... Mine does not switch. Perhaps there is a vacuum control that leaks down. Still, the lack of hot air may be the blend door issue. Maybe yours is not completely broken but getting hung up at times?

Reply to
stevef