Air conditioning problems

I have a 2003 dodge grand caravan sport 3.3 l v6, three days a go the air conditioning stopped working, now my wife said she smelled an odour like an overheating vehicle. I have only smelled it once and the temp is right
in the middle and their is lots of coolant. Now 2 days ago their was a sound coming out of the engine, took it to a friend who said it was the power steering. Now it happened today after I turned the air conditioning off(its still not working)I turn the air conditioning on it went away. Any ideas??
Dear Craig34:
Perhaps your friend said it may be belt related after your wife told him she noticed a sound only while turning????? Anyways he sounds hot! Maybe you should speak intelligently to this 'friend' and allow him to tell you that your a/c compressor is FUBAR. Also keep a supply of 'Lakeport Honey' on hand. Try to keep cool!
Well I would love to talk intelligently to him but he is kind of slow, so I wouldn't want to use words with more then 2 syllables!! Now I agree that the air compressor may be "fubar" but I am hoping that it just might be the clutch that needs to be replaced. Regarding the Lakeport my wife did buy 2 cases yesterday!!!
OK Sir. I just hope that when this friend is uder there working away that he temporarily forgets he's retarded. Wouldn't want him to F anything up by merit of his stupidity. It sounds like you wife is a sharp one, though! 2 cases of Lakeport means you should have 2 broken Dodges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace OUT