caravan spare tire removal

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan and I can not get the spare tire to come down. I crank the nut in the floor of the back storage compartment and the tire starts to come down but stops after comming down about 1.5 inches. The wire cable continues to come out all the way but the tire won't come down any further. I can shake, spin, and make the tire wobble but it won't let go of whatever else is holding it up. Any suggestions, tips, tricks on how to get the spare tire off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
justabeginner

A good swift kick should jar it loose. Put some ass into it.

Reply to
Dan C

Reply to
justabeginner

I had the same problem with my 1999 Caravan. There is a spring-loaded, wire actuated metal clip that holds the spare from dropping. It actually prevents the mushroomed end of the plastic sleeve on the tire cable from passing. You have to loosen the tire, then reach in with your hand and squeeze the clip with one hand, and angle the plastic sleeve with the other to release the tire. After I got mine down, I took the wire piece out. I think the wire piece was supposed to be some kind of release, but it doesn't work very well. Doug B.

Reply to
Doug B.

Reply to
justabeginner

I've seen this question several times here. I asked it once myself. I don't get why the Chrysler techs never mention the lock. Doug B.

Reply to
Doug B.