caravan spare tire removal

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan and I can not get the spare tire to come down. I crank the nut in the floor of the back storage compartment and the tire
starts to come down but stops after comming down about 1.5 inches. The wire cable continues to come out all the way but the tire won't come down any further. I can shake, spin, and make the tire wobble but it won't let go of whatever else is holding it up. Any suggestions, tips, tricks on how to get the spare tire off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:21:55 -0400, justabeginner wrote:

A good swift kick should jar it loose. Put some ass into it.

I've kicked, i've pried with a crow bar, two crow bars. I'm thinking mabe there might be some kind of a locking mechanism that is not working problery but the tire won't come down far enough for me to see or get a hand up in there to feel around. I'm sure most of the holding attachment is plastic like everything else so there probably is something holding it in there. Spraying everything with WD40 that I can get at has not helped either.

On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:54:06 -0400, "justabeginner"

There is a spring-loaded, wire actuated metal clip that holds the spare from dropping. It actually prevents the mushroomed end of the plastic sleeve on the tire cable from passing. You have to loosen the tire, then reach in with your hand and squeeze the clip with one hand, and angle the plastic sleeve with the other to release the tire. After I got mine down, I took the wire piece out. I think the wire piece was supposed to be some kind of release, but it doesn't work very well. Doug B.
Had some time this evening to look at the spare again and was able to get the locking mechanism to let go of the tire. The wire piece that was suppose to release the tire was inside the rim so was not working. Anyways, thanks for the tip.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:53:02 -0400, "justabeginner"

don't get why the Chrysler techs never mention the lock. Doug B.