2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L starter

Got a 2002 GC with the 3.8L ES package and tipping 90,000 miles. All regular servicing and maintenance up to this point, though it does need another throttle body cleaning and the serpentine belt is showing wear.

Dealership gave it a thumbs-up on their 23-point inspection.

Then not 4-5 days later it began to sound strange when starting. When the starter engages, it turns over fine and starts, but when releasing the key (back to ON) there is a clunk noise.

My first guess is of course the starter assembly. Possibly the bendix (sp?) if I remember the components correctly.

My question is how to diagnose it more finely before taking it to the dealer? I have extended car care, which is $100 deductible, if this is the bendix, is that separate from a complete starter? Is it worth having the dealer do and pay a $100 deductible, or is the cost so marginal I should have an independant shop do it.

Alternatively, I have no fear about laying down under it for a couple of hours, though I have large fingers - I could probably swap out the starter myself.

Reply to
Steph

First of all you aren't sure if it is the starter, why not get the complaint documented by the dealer RO and have them diagnose and fix the problem before your contract expires? At least if it isn't the starter it is documented as a problem. Just a hint. the starter is about $230.00 not including the labor, so your question about you doing it yourself instead of paying the deductible should have just got answered. The starter comes complete.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower