Is it hard to change out a power steering hose on a 95 Stratus?

I have a 95 stratus that developed a leak in the hose. . . the dealer tells me they have to drop the engine to change the hose, and with the part, will cost me about $500. This doesn't seem that it should be
that hard of a job. I'm not very handy at all when it comes to this stuf, but also dont' want to get "taken" by the dealer either. Can someone shed some light on this procedure?
I have a '98 Stratus ES (V6), and from what I've seen there is little to no room in the engine compartment. I doubt they are going to completely remove the engine, but rather disconnect a couple of motor mounts to roll the engine forward enough so they can get to the steering rack end of the hose. While they are at it have them replace the steering rack bellows. If they crack you will get dirt in the steering rack which will take out the seals, an even more expensive repair job (been there, done that). The bellows are probably only $10.
Gyz
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the info. What a pain. I would hate to be a mechanic with these new cars today.
On 6 Mar 2007 09:10:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's why I tear my hair out working on Computers (out of the frying pan, into the fire) I still fix my own , and I've got two doozies - a V6 Mystique and a '94 TransSport 3.8. Both just about as miserable as a '61 Austin 850 (my first car)with even less room to work.

I have a 1996 Dodge Stratus Es and face the same problem. The power steering pump broke and the hose is leaking, although very little. The dealer informed me about a repair cost in the range of $ 400 for the pump and $ 500 for the line, also we dont know if the rack is still working o.k. We cant test it right now. Are you getting yours fixed? Shoul I go ahead and risk to have the rack replaced afterwords? It would cost me another $1400. List prize for the car is only around $ 1500. Whats your advice?
"gbpackerbacker" wrote: > I have a 95 stratus that developed a leak in the hose. . . the > dealer > tells me they have to drop the engine to change the hose, and > with the > part, will cost me about $500. This doesn't seem that it > should be > that hard of a job. I'm not very handy at all when it comes to > this > stuf, but also dont' want to get "taken" by the dealer either. > Can > someone shed some light on this procedure?

Does the horn still work? Jack the horn up and put a new car under it - as we used to say at one garage where I used to work. It's a pitty to scrap something with life left in it, but unless the rest of the car is in great shape, it's hard to justify spending the value of the car on just steering repairs. Different situation if you can fix it yourself, perhaps. I generally spend more time on my cars than they are worth before replacing them, but I generally have more time than money.