OT: 440 B/RB no spark after removing propane system

hey all,

I'm posting for a friend, but witnessed the events leading to this post.

We removed the propane system from a 1971 Imperial w/440.And replaced all of the fuel components to go back on pump gas, including a new carb, fuel pump, lines and sending unit.

We are under the impression we removed all components properly, but for some reason now we get no spark. The points,rotor,cap,wires,and plugs were all replaced and the coil seems fine.

My question is : Is there an electrical interruption installed in a propane system that will not allow spark unless some sort of condition is met ?

Also : If someone has a schematic for the ignition on a 440 in it's original state that would help too as we are not exactly sure the coil was hooked up properly.

Any info or thoughts are appreciated, or perhaps a website that may have that info.

Thanking in advance ...

Reply to
skylark69

There should not be, there are lockouts on the propane delivery system but not ignition. trace your loss of spsrk bacwards through the distributor and then to the coil. The coil should be wired to the ignition wire from tthe ignition switch ( I assume it is a points type ignition by your post) small stud with nut and the other small stud with nut to the points in the dist and the other side of the points to ground. Obviously the centre HT lead goes to the dist.. With engine stopped disconnect the HT (coil to dist) lead from the distributor take off the dist cap and turn the engine until the points are closed. Secure the dist end of the HT close to a ground away from the carburettor, and turn on the ignition, now with a screw driver gently push on the points arm, cam side, to open the points and a small spark should jump the points and at the same time a large spark should jump the HT to ground. If this does not happen, check for 12 volts across open points (should be there) , then turn off igntion and check again for fro 0 voltage, then check your condenser for a short should be no conductivity between lead and ground. If all this is here and still no spark chech with a new HT lead and make sure it is plugged ALL the way in. If you got a spark off the coil you should be able to trace things down the line from there

"skylark69" wrote in message news:cRWae.1129964$6l.51309@pd7tw2no... hey all,

[...]

Mandrake

We figured it out. The coil (-) was physically grounded to the block and was not allowing spark ...

Thanks Mandrake, you have been very helpful for me on several occasions ...

Reply to
skylark69