1999 8L V10 Automatic Transmission Replacement

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a 1999 8L V10 2WD automatic transmission with an 8L V10 2WD automatic transmission from a new year, such as 2001 or 2002? I need to replace mine and I was
thinking of buying a used one. A mechanic friend said if it was possible to by the newer version, I would be wise. He said the 1998-99 transmission has its share of engineering flaws.
Also, if I have to have mine rebuilt have they corrected the flaws in the rebuilding kits? Thanks much.

Sure - straight swap.

Is he perhaps thinking of the 48RE that was introduced in '03? The 47RE was pretty much unchanged from it's introduction ('96) through '03.
If so, the 48RE has additional clutches, and better oiling of the overdrive section. However, the 47RE was rarely a problem (design-wise) behind the V10.
The 48RE is a direct swap mechanically, but would require a little electrical modification to get the newer TRS (transmission range sensor) to interface properly with the older park/neutral switch.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Thanks Tom. In your estimation, is it worth it to go to the trouble of changing over to the 48RE or should I just go with the 47RE. The dealer groups '98 and '99 together as similar years when it comes to ordering a new transmission and does indicate a similarity to years 2000 thru 2003.

I wouldn't go out of your way to get one, because it will require a little tweaking to get it hooked up (electrically). If you had one available to you for free, or for a reduced price, that would be one thing - but if you're buying a new one, get the one designed for your vehicle.
Buy a rebuilt from you dealer IT will already have the upgrades