Slipping transmission V10

I just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 with a V10 and automatic transmission. The transmission nearly always slips in going from 1st to 2nd and just about sometimes when I just accelerate at low speeds. It also slips as I am driving on cruise control when I am driving up and down slopes on the freeway (I think it is shifting into overdrive, not sure). Does this sound like a PCM problem or do I need to have the transmission rebuilt? Has anyone else ever experienced this problem. Thanks.

Reply to
livingvine

How old is it, how many miles on it?

Reply to
TBone

First have the filter and fluid changed. This will show if anything is in the pan that might be a further sign of troubles. While its open, have the bands adjusted. The 1-2 shift directly dependant on the front band being adjusted properly. Check for trans codes in the PCM. If you have a truck other than a 97-99, you'll be able to do this yourself by turning the key on and off three times, then leaving it on and reading the odometer display.

After doing all that, see how things go.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The truck is a '99 and has 86000 miles. Incidentally, the engine is an

8L V10.
Reply to
livingvine

Thanks, I appreciate your help.