$2000 cdn for a new rear bumper?

I rear ended a guy with a new 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. It had a black bumper (not the chrome one) It was about a 5km/hr bump, that left one slight indentation in the right corner, about two inches round, and not
deep at all.
He said he went to the dealership and said the cost to fix would be $2000. I asked if it caused other damage to the truck, and he said no, just the bumper.
Now, I have a 2005 Dodge 1500 - and was rearended this winter - it caused 3 large dents as well as scratches all along. It only cost $350 to fix.
Why the descrepancy?
Also, how much would just a new black rear bumper cost?
Thanks
$50.00 on Ebay right now for a chrome one. Probably a 200 dollar item at dealer.
Bob AZ
Shit ,for $1200 US you can buy a nice lookig custom bumper that is very strong like those ugly pipes people sometimes attach to their trucks.

Ask him for the estimate on paper.
--
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

He needs to show written estimates from the dealer. You can also contact the dealer yourself and get an estimate in writing. It's the only way to keep things fair to both parties.
In stated, which I commented on below:

I would have called the police at the time of the accident to get an official police report. I'm not sure if you did or not, and if you didn't, I realize you're probably trying to save a possible insurance premium hike, but from the looks of it, the guy is trying to railroad you with the extra $$ and would have probably been worth going thru your insurance in the long run.
Just last month, I was in Philly (center city - and I hate going into Philly with my Ram), some girl cut my arc while I was making a left on a tight side street from a one way street with two lanes onto another one way street with two lanes. Originally as I pulled up to the light in the right lane with my right turn signal on, I notice a small car parked on the corner with some girl in the driver seat talking to a passenger. I made a mental note to take it wide. Light changed and I proceeded and did take it wide. I then heard this awful scrape on the right side. I looked over and there she was trying to make the turn. I made sure to get a cop so to make an official police report and glad I did. She was driving with an expired tag and she got fined for that.
The passenger was her boyfriend. They were a young couple, early 20's. He was trying to say it was my fault. I said I wasn't the one that was parked on the corner,and you need to signal to show your intention to enter a traffic lane out of a parking spot and not just dart out and try to make a turn, whether on the corner or not. He tried to argue with me, and I said there's no need to argue about it and we'll just let the cops sort it out. Then he asked me to keep the cops out of it and I said NO, now way. I want a police report because I knew it was her fault. As we exchanged paper work waiting for the cops, she didn't have the owener/reg card and said she forgot it at home. I said we'll let the cops sort that out as well. Glad I did call them...
Ace
Aceman wrote:

Here in Arizona the police don't need to be called if damage is under $1000 and theres no injuries or its on private property such as a parking lot.
In stated, which I commented on below:

Hmm, interesting. I guess it doesn't matter, unless that guy pushes the $2000 thing, but it's too late now. How would you determine if damage is below a grand anyway at the time of the incident?
Ace
Aceman wrote:

I've always wondered that too. Anyways, I wouldn't pay it without written estimates from the dealer and you can get your own estimates.
In stated, which I commented on below:

Good point.
Ace
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I heard it is common practice for insurance companies to request three written estimates and let the company decide, so that is what I would do if I were you, and while you are at it, call the dealer -- you can't get more expensive than that...
or, if yours is really nice, and it is a match, you could do a swap, and fix yours at your convenience
rach