2001 Dodge Dakota Ball Mount

I just purchased a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport that came with a factory installed class 4 trailer hitch receiver but not the ball mount. Can I use a straight ball mount or do I need to get one that drops? How to I
base this on? The hight of the truck or the trailer I'd be pulling?
Thanks,
--
Jerry

Thanks.
I don't know much about trailer hitches but the information sticker for the truck claims it has a class IV hitch. It's a 2x2 receiver though.
Suddenly, without warning, Jerry exclaimed (06-Jan-06 12:01 AM):

I vaguely remember the same sort of confusion with my 2001 when I purchased it. In the end, though, it's a class III hitch.
jmc
How to I base this on? The hight of the truck or the trailer I'd be pulling?
I'm no tow-ologists or an expert in this in any way, shape, or form, but I was told you base the mount on what you are towing. You want the trailer/boat/whatever to be as level as possible. If the truck height is too low when trailer is attached, you get a "riser" and if it's too high, you get "reducer" I have 2 mounts for my 99 Dak, when I tow my boat ( 19 foot ), I use a reducer ( 2 inch drop )but when I use my travel trailer, I use a straight mount.
Slick Willy