2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Crunchy/scrunchy brakes

Just did the front disc brakes. New pads, turned to rotors and new anti-rattle springs.

Not when I apply the brakes there is a crunchy/scrunchy sound and I can sense some vibration from the front wheels. Is this a symptom of the calipers needing replacement also. Should I have replaced the front calipers also? I did press back the caliper pistons till they bottomed.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

This is a sign of something wrong!

Since I can't see your brake job, it is all just a guess but some things that come to mind are wrong pads, rotors defective (too thin), mateing surfaces dirty on rotors to hubs, caliper mating surfaces dirty, and the list goes on.

Reply to
PeterD

How about ABS? Did you force caliper fluid back into lines? Or allow it to bleed off?

Reply to
Bill

Good thought... I don't think that is the issue, but it could be abs kicking on. Maybe Bob can clarify if the ABS system is working OK or not...

Reply to
PeterD

Peter et al

I did force the pistons into the calipers as needed to to assemble the calipers to the caliper adapter and to allow the new brake pads to be inserted. There was no loss or leakage of fluid. I also had the rotors turned and they are .4mm thicker than the minimun of 29mm.

There is no ABS involved since this pickup has only 2 wheel ABS.

No fluid leakage or loss so far.

Thanks for the replies so far Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

??? Only 2 wheel ABS? Which two wheels? Ok, one hell of a terribly designed ABS system to put it on the rear only, when in fact you don't want the front's to lock up. (I can somewhat see the logic, rears lockup easily on unloaded trucks...)

Personally, I think I'd just pull everhthing apart and reassemble. You may well see something obvious, with a cry of "What the hell is that doing in there?" for example. Afterall we're only talking an hour or so at the worst, right?

Reply to
PeterD

PeterD et al

I goofed. There was one of the pads flopped. Had the rotor turned again, reassembled and all is well.

Thanks to all

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Wow... That was a goof! Good to hear you fixed it OK.

Reply to
PeterD