2008 Town & Country

Page 1 of 2
Anybody Have access to a wiring diagram for an 08 T&C ?
I've installed a MyGig "Lockpick" in my van and to make the rear camera work
while in motion I need to get a seperate power wire to the camera as it currently powered off the backup light circuit. And to me the best place to make the connection is in the rear ceiling where the harness enters the gate. But I need to know what what wire feeds power to the camera otherwise I need to gut the gate to get to the wiring at the camera. Thanks Kevin
ks wrote:

Wow a fast way to void the warranty and break the law all in one fell swoop... I don't see anything on the web site about that though...
--
Steve W.

Ok void some warranty I get but breaking the law? ....you better tell the million or so RV owners with rear view cameras they are breaking the law.
ks wrote:

Rear view cameras are designed to ONLY act as a rear view mirror because they cannot see directly behind the RV. The law says that those cameras are legal. The system your installing allows video feeds and DVD to be viewed within the drivers line of vision. That is the illegal item.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Well....
This is factory OEM Chrysler, I'm only looking to also be to view while in forward motion (to keep tabs on the boat trailer better). Similar camera kits are sold at Wal-Mart for this purpose.

You are correct for New York, But Minnesota as many other states has no such law.
Thank you for all your legal concern

Ask a cop, Walmart sells lots of things that aren't allways legal to use. Light-up valve-stem caps are only legal in truck-shows where the vehichle is not on the road. Fog lights are only legal if mounted properly, and should only come on if the head-lights are on and if mounted above the head-lights covers must be used to prevent using the fog lights when on the road. In other words, those kits may very well be legal to "sell", but for you to install it on your vehichle would eihter require you to deactivate your camera while driving or only use your vehichle off the road. The moment your vehichle hits the road, you'd need to flip a switch and de-activate the camera.....

true, also many states now have "distraction laws" intened to apply to cel phones and such but can be used to cover any type of distraction to the driver including unruley passengers.

Yup, like over here in Louisiana, if you hang a CD, necklace, etc. from your mirror, you can get a ticket because it blinds the car in front of you when the sun hits it and bounces back into their eyes.... This moron drove to where I work at and had this necklace with lots of mirrored like squares on it.... "Bling-Bling" just the perfect thing to get a ticket!

I doubt there isn't anybody who hasn't done something to their truck or car that hasn't been a bit illegal or pushed the warranty a bit. Hell, if ya haven't well.....
I don't really see the reasoning for this toy, but it's his toy let him play with it. Just mho.
<snip>

in georgia there is still a law on the books from the old hotrodding days. it says that you cannot perform any modifications to your vehicle from its stock configuration. a good attorney could have you for lunch just for running a different brand of tire on the vehicle than it was shipped with. got to be one of the most violated laws on the books. i posted the general law on the subject below but if you go a read each subsection of the code you will find that most vehicle modifications beyond factory and dealer options are illegal. michael
40-8-7. Driving unsafe or improperly equipped vehicle; punishment for violations of chapter generally; vehicle inspection by law enforcement officer without warrant
(a) No person shall drive or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer, or any combination thereof, unless the equipment upon any and every such vehicle is in good working order and adjustment as required in this chapter and the vehicle is in such safe mechanical condition as not to endanger the driver or other occupant or any person upon the highway.
(b) It is a misdemeanor for any person to drive or move, or for the owner to cause or knowingly permit to be driven or moved, on any street or highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles:
(1) Which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person;
(2) Which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lights and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this chapter; or
(3) Which is equipped in any manner in violation of this chapter.
(c) It is also a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this chapter.
(d) Any vehicle suspected of being operated in violation of this article may be the subject of an inspection conducted by any law enforcement officer who has reason to believe such violation is occurring, without the necessity of obtaining a warrant to permit such inspection.

<snip>
There is a law in most states that say's the lower edge of fender can't be higher than center hub/axle. or words to that effect.

if i was a cop i would be well versed in my states laws on vehicle modifications. as long as folks were nice i would be nice. but the minute they started getting rude and beligerent i would start looking for mods just to teach them some manners. in georgia the law specifically states that a truck cannot be lifted any more than 2" over stock. a cop with an attitude could park 25% of the trucks our hillbilly town on a whim. michael

As I interpret the above, there is NO prohibition about modifying a vehicle. All the above states is that the original safety equipment, including lights etc must be in good operating condition. You are reading too much into it.
Doug
<snip>

<snip>
Doug, i snipped a lot of the other stuff. the key to this code is the sentence i left this time. the "improperly equipped" and "violations of chapter" statements refer you back to the preponderence of codes covering modifications to vehicles. this chapter includes lifts, fog lights, and all kinds of modifictions. i chose not to post the entire chapter, you can google it if you want. if you dig down into all the applicable codes in georgia, many common modifications are illegal. michael

work
otherwise
Let me Know how many fault codes are set when you do this. The Can bus system make detect that and set multiple engine faults.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Glenn, Thanks for your concern but I'm not messing with the Can Bus, I'm just trying to provide 12+ to the camera independly of the backup light curcuit, I will have to ofcourse now seperate the camera from the backup light so I don't cause any backfeed. This is the company that sell the module to allows some not previouly programmed functions out of the MyGig Radio. http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm
I'm trying to find a more reasonable priced FSM as $395 is a little steep. I'm sure they will hit ebay soon.
Any change you could pull a diagram of the rear gate harness and tell me the wire color for the camera power source?

place
curcuit,
allows
the
Sorry I don't have that info.
ks wrote:

Can't you just tap a 12+ into the existing camera power wire and isolate the backfeed with a diode?
--
Ken

Yep thats the plan kinda The instruction say to clip the 12+ to the Camera and use the wire from the module to supply the power to the camera when view is needed.
I was just trying to save time/hassel by seeing if I could find the wire colors so I could do this at the harness before going into the gate so I didn't have to diassembling the rear door to get to the camera to find out which wire it is.
Instead I'm getting legal and warranty advise.
ks wrote:

Three ways to get the wiring info.: (1) Some dealers will let you look at their FSM's in their facility - used to be that way - I don't know if they still do that.
(2) Buy the FSM (probably more than the approx. $100 they used to be).
(3) If it's worth $25 to you (for a one year subscription), you could get an on-line subscription to alldata.com. Not sure about your van, but for the vehicles I have subscriptions for, they have every single schematic that's in the FSM, and they are all right out of the FSM - none of the aftermarket manual "typical" schematics that may or may not be accurate for your vehicle. With that subscription you would also have access to the complete TSB's applicable to the vehicle - that alone might be worth the cost of the subscription.
(I have no connections with alldata other than being a customer - and to prove it, I'll say that the rest of their vehicle-specific information, though right out of the FSM, is spotty, incomplete, and poorly organized/hard to search. Schematics and TSB's are 100%, and may be worth the cost by itself. Also, they give multiple year/multiple vehicle discounts.)