2008 Town & Country

Page 2 of 2

I forgot all about Alldata, the FSM is $395.00 which I think is just a little over priced!
I guess I'm just kinda curious why you'd want the camera on when driving down the road...
Denny

Must be because he wants to rearend someone.
Thats it you figured it out!
Thanks for your help.

Kinda nice to see the boat trailer better behind me.

In my years of towing things, I'm comfortable in knowing the (whatever) is hooked up correctly, safety pins in hitch and\or ball, safety chains installed and watch the mirror. I agree the camera might be nice for hooking up but after that it just looking at a hitch. Believe me, if you would happen to break the ball and your load hits the chains, your butt will know it faster than your eyes looking at a picture when you should be handling the situation.
Denny

Yup, by then it is all over.

Yep, I broke a class three hitch last year. A guy pulled up along side of me to say it didn't look right (on the freeway) I touched the brake and boom the trailer hit me. Sucks when the safety changs are hooked to the hitch and the hitch brakes free!

I guess the biggest reason I have a negative attitude towards this is due to the can-bus system on the van. All modules are on the bus and info flows freely. I'm just supposing here and have no way to know if this is correct so here goes.....You power up the camera when it's not supposed to have power. It puts this info on the bus. Other modules see this info when nothing is supposed to be there and gets confused (for lack of better word) and do something strange. Take the radio for instance, I don't know if the back-up picture will be displayed when it gets the signal or not. The radio my have to have a bus message from the pcm that the van is in reverse before it'll show the screen. I know, this is all kinda far-fetched but I run into this kind of stuff on occasion when people try to modify the electronics on the newer vehicles to get them to work the way they want them to instead of the way they were designed.
Denny (Don't get me started on lock-up converters or remote starts..)

went down and under the bumper and I rode it to a stop. Makes me worry about the safety chain setup as they were still connect to the hitch that broke freefrom the uprites.
Actually the camera talks directly to the radio then the radio talks with the bus. The module from www.coastaletech.com goes between the bus and radio. It works great and I now have an 1 additional audio/video input to the radio (I plan an HD receiver in the near future) one more video input I guess for another camera if I wanted and a video output should I want to drive another screen. Also I get a connection that allows for an aftermarket blue tooth interface. I doubt I'll really use all the features but the technology is cool.
Denny wrote:

Didn't someone mention isolating the power feed with a diode? ;-)
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

Yes - but Denny apparently was assuming that the bus communicated directly with the camera. If that were true (which, from what others are saying, is not), it would be hard to fool the bus into not knowing whether the camera was powered up or not.

they're rated for? Or was this hitch so old and rusty that it could no longer hold its rated capacity?

It was a 3500lb class III hitch on a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country and no rust was involved. The square cross tube broke loose from the 1/4 thick vertical pieces.