2011 Dakota Fuel Gauge

2011 Dakota 2WD long bed 4.7L V8

The fuel gauge will drop to the peg and ring the bell and light the light then recover after a while.

Only happens when the tank is 1/4 full or less. Once, after a fill up the gauge stayed on the peg for several minutes then recovered.

Happens when sitting still or in motion on the level or a grade.

Experts in two dealer service department haven't got a clue.

Any a yinz guys got a good guess?

JAM

Reply to
Frank Galikanokus

Just a WAG, but the gauge is actually driven by the PCM (or one of the other computers) IIRC. It is possible that there is a bad connection at the computer that is causing this.

I know my Dodge truck's fuel gauge is strange if I don't buy a full tank of fuel--it can take as much as five minutes to read the correct fuel level.

Reply to
PeterD

I have the "service manual" on disc. No wiring diagram. :

Reply to
Frank Galikanokus

I'm gonna have to try this as soon as I get home.

SELF TEST The instrument cluster self-diagnostic test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the indicators are capable of operating as designed. During the test the instrument cluster circuitry will position each of the gauge needles at various calibration points, illuminate all of the segments in the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) unit, and turn all of the indicators ON and OFF again.

Successful completion of the self-diagnostic test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational.

Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the VFD unit, and perform a bulb check of each operational LED indicator. The VFD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.

Reply to
Frank Galikanokus