92 Dakota Timing?

Is it possible to set the timing on a 1992 Dakota V6? I clamp my light on #1 cyl and cannot get the mark to steady it keeps flashing all over the place.
I just replaced the timing chain and gear so I know that is O.K. new wires and plugs too, any ideas all the manuals say not able to be set. seems strange...........