Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi with open rear (non-posi or limited slip diff) can it be upgraded to a posi?

Page 2 of 2
MS Networking Dude wrote:

Yup, it's exactly the same housing, axles, etc. Find a competent diff shop in your area and go talk to them.

I have limited slip on mine. In snow and ice it drives like a champ. Never once even came close to getting stuck. Also, nomenclature has some people a little confused. Dodge calls their version LSD, Limited Slip Differential. Chevy calls theirs Positraction (AKA posi). Ford has another name for theirs that I can't recall at the moment. All of these are a limited slip designee. All work the same way, and pretty much perform the same way. You have experience with a Detroit Locker, so you know that's the next step up, with it's inherent drawbacks.

I agree, it really is just that easy.
As a side note. The Dodge 9 1/4" rear is pretty famous for eating carrier bearings at about 60-80K miles. If you plan on driving the truck that long, have a better aftermarket bearing installed at the same time.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Thanks Bob. Great info. Glad to know I don't have to get the whole housing. I think I'll go with the Auburn unit instead of the factory unit and get the dealer to install it.
Ace